Requesting info on Isla Mujeres "Sleeping sharks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone,
I am in search of a couple Mexico segments to shoot, and I have been curious about the "cave of the sleeping sharks" featured in Nat Geo Mag back in the '60s by Jacques Cousteau and Eugenie Clark. I have heard that the sharks are rarely there, not there, or only there at the right time of the year, depending on who I talk to. Is there anyone here with relatively recent experience in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

I'm happy to see an honest dive operator. I received this reply to a query.

Hola Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting us about your interest in filming the Sleeping Shark Cave. The truth about the Sleeping Shark Cave is that it is seldom that we see sharks other than large nurse sharks. Hurricane Wilma did much damage to the reef in that area. It is not until now that the fish are becoming more abundant in that area. All the years of fishing in that area have also had a affect on shark population. Perhaps I can interest you in doing a documentary on other locations in this area. We have wreck dives, drift dives, and wonderful coral gardens as well as fish filled reefs. We are a low key island with beautiful beach, warm friendly people and a turtle preservation center. Our dive shop is focused personalized fun but safe diving, diving and snorkeling services. We are now in our Whale Shark season, where we take people out to swim with them. **

I look forward to your response.

All the Best,

Sonia Fuentes
Owner
Aqua Adventures
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
www.diveislamujeres.com
011 52 998 877 1615 *

Thanks for posting the reply you received. It's great to see that they are being honest about the lack of activity at the sleeping shark cave... I'm sure it would be easy to take people and just tell them it's not a sure thing, etc., and still sell a trip.

I used to go to Isla Mujeres pretty regularly from about 1990-97 or 98. Even in the mid to late 90's we were told by locals that it had been years since there were any good numbers of sharks there.

I agree with Scubawife. Most operators would just take you for a ride. It's good to see honest people are still around and giving you alternatives to something you would have liked to plan.

I would suggest also contacting Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives&PADI Courses. Ben is the owner/operator there and depending on when you want to shoot, maybe consider whale sharks. There are many other options as well. Drop him a line at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. His shop is located in Cancun.

Good luck with the documentary. I'd like to see it when you publish it.

Dive safe!

sonia gave truthful advice there, i know her well and she has a nice small and friendly dive op there but yeah the cave of sleeping sharks sounds cool, but..... theres no sharks. nurse sharks are there but hey, nurse sharks are everywhere!?
there are two wild palces we ve checked into, one 'los picos' 2 hr from isla mujures and now we can see hammerheads, well i ve been three times and seen a group of 15+ the first time, second and third ..... nada, depends greatly on the current.
next week we re heading out to 'aerosmith' this is 28 miles form cancun, sea mounts from 20ft-150ft, current i heard can be a screaming 8knots but theres plenty of tiger, mako and bull sharks to see there. this doenst sound like a toursit dive 2 tanker so if you dont see any posts from me i ve probably been eaten, crazy??? no.... just looking outside the box.

please do a report on arrowsmith. been hearing stories about that place for many years. Hope you have some calm weather.

Why is it that all these cool places are being hit when I'm not around....:(

Diving a seamount has got to be awesome. I remember reading Peter Benchley's book, The Girl in the Sea of Cortez. I was imagining what it would be like to dive with thousands of hammerheads and giant mantas.

Yeah, hope for good weather for ya! Get some pics of that, mate! Al could help ya get them posted on-line! That would be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom