Where to stay when visiting Chichen Itza?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A recent thread has talked about spending the night when visiting Chichen Itza to avoid the crowds. But when I look on the map, there are a lot of towns close by and I am not sure which one is ideal to look for lodging in. Piste? San Fransico Grande? X Calakoop? The immediate area by Chichen Itza?

I will be coming from Cancun with my wife, five and seven year old kids and older parents. I'm planning on renting a van and driving everyone. Any suggestions on towns, hotels, restaurants or helpful tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

PH

Sorry I can't help. Everyone I know visiting Chichen Itza does it as a day trip. The toll road is very drivable at night, so that isn't a concern. If you're making a day of it you can avoid much of the crowds by going early, and doing any side trips on the way back before joining the toll road in Valladolid.

BTW- Hire a guide to tour the ruins at Chichen Itza, they're highly educated about what's there and will difinitely add to your visit. To save a bit of dough, look for other independents, and try to get a small group to share the cost.

The last time my wife and I went, we continued on to Merida, (best visited on Sunday) and made a multi day tour of it visiting the ruins along the Ruta Puc spending the night at a beautiful hotel in Ushmal before circling back.

There are hotels near Chichen Itza, so if that's your plan you might inquire on trip advisor for better info.

Valladolid, here is our favorite place to stay, http://www.mesondelmarques.com Nice colonial city that is not touristy. Get there in the early afternoon and spend the rest of the day seeing the town, go to CI early in the morning and stop by Ek Balam on your way back to Cancun.

there are 3 hotels right next to Chichen Itza, in Piste. They say they are within walking distance of the ruins. From my searches (we are planning to do this some time in 2009), they prices at all 3 are $90-110 per night for a double room. I think there are less expensive hotels in Valladolid if you don't mind staying a little farther away.

You might want to get the Mayan Adventure Map at Can-Do Travel Guides to help you plan the trip. I got mine last month and it is full of information (like entry prices, photos and maps of sites, other points of interest to see, websites, tollroad info, local restaurants and prices, etc) in addition to the excellent map of the area. It also comes with a map of Cancun airport. Well worth the $10.

robin:D

We stayed in Villa Archeologicas sp? right at the back entrance. You get in at 8:00am when the place opens long before the tour buses roll in. They have a pool there that is shallow. The place was quit. There are a couple of more places with one being a big resort. Our style fits the quieter place with fewer people.

Check out the light show at night and more importantly rent the cheesy headphones.

Back
Top Bottom