Anyone used any Dentists around Playa del Carmen/Cancun area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Of all the "Teeth Doctors" I've known in my life (starting with a my pedi-dentist who probly should have been prosecuted but those things were hushed up to much in those days), I liked my last one who did my Uppers - but then he retired. The bum! Yeah, he was old, but still to healthy to quit. Oh well, hope he's enjoying his golden years.

I've known people to fly to El Paso for Juarez dental services who were quite pleased, but I'd like to combine the trip & savings with a Cozumel dive trip - putting the money saved to good use there. :crafty: I've search the net some, but found very little between those two airports of my choice and I do not want to go inland to Merida. I have communicated with one who seems agreeable enough, but don't know where to look for more reports & reviews...?

My general plan is to...
  1. Fly to Cancun for a same day office exam;
  2. Bus it down to PDC, ferry to Coz, and do a few days diving;
  3. Then return after a few days for a the lower extractions & the Lower denture plate;
  4. A night recovering in a local hotel as I know I won't be up to flying that day but okay the next.
Anyone have any personal experiences with Dentists there - PDC or north to Cancun? Or anyone know a site where I can get first hand reports...?

thanks!
grinning-smiley-033.gif

Last edited:
What type of procedures were you planning on receiving? I've seen some nice results from Mexican dentists, but the most variability came down to the lab used by the office. I've replaced (so far) two very poorly fabricated crowns (grossly open margins), but the actual prep 'work' to the tooth was good. Implants have been a mixed bag--some good results for prices nobody around here could touch, but a few that don't appear to have a good long term prognosis. General fillings and the rest have faired much better. Anyway if you're looking for a full-mouth rehabilitation for under $1000, you may be pushing it.

Just two extractions and a lower denture plate. Using a lower bridge now, but - too many gaps now.

somewhere knockin around in this ol noggin of mine is a recollection of a very good thread on this subject over on the travlnotes cozumel discussion board. many of the regulars on that board are expats who live part or all of the year on coz. interesting bunch.

Just two extractions and a lower denture plate. Using a lower bridge now, but - too many gaps now.

Regardless of whether you're looking for a partial denture or a complete denture (not recommended for the lower arch unless it's supported by implants), you may need to have it relined/adjusted periodically. If you have a regular dentist, they should be able to help you out, perhaps at hygiene appointments. Some won't however. Since you have extractions planned, it may be a better idea to have them after you're done with your diving, but I've had patients who've gone diving literally a day after an extraction (and against my advice).

Regardless of whether you're looking for a partial denture or a complete denture (not recommended for the lower arch unless it's supported by implants), you may need to have it relined/adjusted periodically. If you have a regular dentist, they should be able to help you out, perhaps at hygiene appointments. Some won't however. Since you have extractions planned, it may be a better idea to have them after you're done with your diving, but I've had patients who've gone diving literally a day after an extraction (and against my advice).
Nah, I push things enough; I am not diving after extractions. The pressure changes would be just begging for trouble, then the infections! Like I tried to say above, at the end of the trip - lower extractions & the Lower denture plate. Then a night recovering in a local hotel as I know I won't be up to flying that day but okay the next.

The emails at the site above all bounce, but I phoned them - at least the number is still good. Hate it when sites remain up but out of date, even contact info.
English speaking contact there: aliciabolivar@hotmail.com

Their denture dentist: rubengaunam@hotmail.com
She tried to give that to me over the phone but no way would I have got it right... :silly:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom