Recommended Whale Shark Tour Operators & Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiazzi

Registered
Reaction score
I have been on the search for a great whale shark tour operator based in Isla Mujeres. I plan on staying on the island from Aug. 13 - Aug. 17th and going it alone. It would be nice if the boat was limited to less than 10 people but whatever it takes to see those beautiful animals, I will do.

The whale shark tour ops I found so far are:

-Aqua Adventures
-Searious Diving

The other dive ops I'm looking into as a beginner (and going alone) are:

-Sea Hawk Divers
-Coral Scuba Dive Center
-Captain Tony's (no website, only email addy)
-Cruise Divers
-Delfin Diving

I hope to see sea turtles and lots of fish!

What would you recommend for the whale shark tours and regular diving (esp. as a beginner)?

Last edited:
Here is a website with tons of info on Isla Mujeres.
Sharing Isla Mujeres and the Isla Mujeres Community: IslaMujeres.info
They have 2 forums under the heading " Sharing la Isla." I was there on vacation last year. A " Can-Do Map" is the best thing you can buy & you can order one online.
The gov't regulates & qualifies only certain Capt's to take people out to swim with the Whale Sharks, so be SURE you get with one of them ! Capt. Tony, easily found in town, is a good one to go out with. He provides a good safe trip, & usually you go to Isla Contoy, for a lunch.
You can only snorkel with the Whalesharks, but any of the other shops offer good diving. Most all dive sites are good for beginners, to moderately experienced divers. Many sites max out at 50-60ft & are flat areas. I have seen much more fish & sea life there, than in any dive in Cozumel.

I found out that Aqua Adventures is the only PADI certified dive shop on Isla Mujeres and Coral Scuba Dive Center closed up shop.

A link to the " Can-Do " maps. Worth every penny !
Untitled Document
I have never dove with Aqua Adventures, but would trust any of the ones listed. Dive sites are a short, easy boat ride, & are very good if you have limited experience. Just get them to hook you up with a buddy, [ maybe the Divemaster can be your buddy ] & tell him of your experience level. You will do fine !!

Untitled Document

Check! I ordered Mapchick's map after hearing SO MUCH about them and Capt. Tony's Isla Contoy tours. :)

Thanks!

Hi,

I have recommended Enrique's Unique Dives to a couple of people on this board and they love him. Enrique used to work at Coral and will ensure you have a good time. I started diving with Coral 9 years ago and go to the Island 4-5 times a year. When Enrique started with Coral I dived with him, and haven't changed. Enrique's shop is on the main street by La Tigrena Restaraunt .

Water Dance has just come back and loved diving with Enrique. You could also PM Scubakevin on this board. He has a place on isla and dives with Enrique all the time.

My choice is always Enrique. Say Sam from Canada recommended him. Here is his link
Diving Isla Mujeres - Cancun, Diving Cancun, Diving Quintana Roo Mexico, scuba Isla Mujeres, diving Isla Mujeres, spear fishing, whale shark, adventures,cancun scuba diving, cancun diving, scuba diving cancun, diving cancun, scuba diving, cancun, div

Coral Scuba Dive Center did not close up shop. It changed names to the CareyDive Centre and the new owner is Gilbert, whom I've been in touch with as I'm going diving there within the next week.

Coral did close up. Gilbert reopened it as Carey Divers, but none of the old staff is there. Thy have all moved on. I think Carlos is with Sea Hawk, Enrique has his own shop. Alvaro, David, & Gabriel and Gabby's Bros are running Cristal Divers.

So although Carey is in Coral's location, it is not Coral. The boats (Intervalo l, ll and lll) were sold off and 1 given to Gabby. Carey's doesn't have a pass for the park, so if they go in, they have to rent a boat with a license.

It really isn't the same. My choice will still be Enrique and then Cristal. Gabby was the best Captain that Coral had.

But I digress.

enjoy your dives, enjoy Carey Divers, Gilbert is a great guy

My wife, two daughters, and I just returned from a 5 night trip to Isla Mujeres to see whale sharks and scuba dive. We were not disappointed. Enrique, who owns and operated Enrique's Unique Dives, was our dive choice. He was fantastic! I wanted to make the right choice because my daughters (ages 14 and 17) and wife had not been out diving in 2 years. Not only did he watch out for our safety and well being, but his warmth and smile made us feel more like family than clients. I was amazed that every other diver that went with us over the 3 days we dove were repeat customers who came back especically to dive with Enrique. Folks from Washington, Oregon, Brussels, and Canada came back to Enrique because they knew what we found out. He's the best! Also, normally we take our own gear when going on dive trips. But, wanting to get by on carry on, we decided to use gear provided by Enrique. It was all in perfect working order, and we had absolutely no problems. In fact, the only thing that went wrong was my daughters mask strap broke (which was ours, not part of his gear). Enrique gave her his mask to use and we continued on without any worries. He really did a great job and you'd be doing yourself a favor to check out is web site or face book page.

He also helped get us on the Ixchell II for their whale shark snorkeling trip. I choose this trip specifically in hopes of getting to see and jump in with a whale shark or two. When we made it out to the spot where they'd be gathering we saw more whale sharks then we could count. We were able to snorkel in small groups with them as the whale sharks swam by, under, around and over (if you swam down) us. A truly remarkable experience, only enhanced by the helpful crew on the Ixchell II. Afterwards we went to a nice reef where we snorkeled while the crew made fresh shrimp ceviche for all of us. Knowing my youngest was not a ceviche fan, Enrique arranged for chicken sandwiches as well. They provided soft drinks and beer with the meal and it was one of the best memories of my life. You can contact them at Ixcheltour_islamujeres@hotmail.com.
The boat was comfortable, fast, with twin 225 outboards and a working radio. All things to consider when heading out into the open ocean to find the whale sharks.
Finally, they were clear on the rules about not touching the whales sharks or the reefs, which preserves both and something I'm not sure all of the other boats did. I was glad because both need to be protected and I appreciated the fact they demonstrated this awareness. They were great, but we were not overly surprised since Enrique recommended them.

Isla Mujeres is a great little island that divers have known about for years. The whale sharks that arrive in June and leave at the end of August are a rare and wonderful experience which I highly recommend to anyone with interests in seeing these beautiful animals. Have fun and enjoy!

Hello,
I like to invite tourists from around the world to come and visit our Gentle Giants, the Whaleshark or Butanding in our dialect.
Our Butanding interaction here in Donsol, Sorsogon, Philippines is dubbed as the, “Best Animal Encounter in Asia”. Im a travel agent and the Manager of Donsol Aqua Tours and Services. I will make sure that everyone who will come and visit will left with a smile and excitement with their adventure here in the Philippines especially here in our town, Donsol, the home of the Whalesharks.
You can watch some of my videos in the youtube with my Filipino and French guests.
One can contact me via Email, takz78@yahoo.com with a number 63+921-743-5677.
Come and visit our town, VISIT PHILIPPINES, THE PEARL OF THE ORIENT….
Mr. Rosalindo M. Briones Jr.
Mngr. Owner.
Donsol Aqua Tours and Services

Back
Top Bottom