Manta Ray at Sleeping Shark Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakevinp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We dove the Sleeping Shark cave off the coast of Isla Mujeres this morning. I have dove 350 times around Isla but never have seen a Manta Ray. We were at 60 feet following a ledge that leads to the cave ( or more like swim through ). I looked up and about 20 feet in front of me was a Manta Ray about 12 feet across. It slowly swam by, then looped around and swan right by us again. I have never seen a manta here while diving before. Also saw a nurse shark (sleeping) and 3 large turtles. Got a nice 2 foot red snapper for dinner tomorrow night. It was a good day.
Too bad I did not have my camera.

Last edited:
Wow! Nice. I've learned the hard way to never go without some camera. I even took one to the pool with my granddaughter Monday.

They're often seen with the Whale Sharks so not too surprising to hear about them moving into the area this time of year. I videoed one while swimming with Dominoes off of Holbox in 2008.

That would be a dream dive!

Possibly planning a trip to Isla Mujeres in March - who are you diving with?

Cheers,

Jason

Back
Top Bottom