Playa Del Carmen Daily Dive Report! Geofish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geofish Dive in Playa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
June 15, 2010

Pared Verde(Green Wall) and Cueva Pargo(Snapper Cave)

Today is a beautiful day with the temperature at 29C/84F and the wind was blowing ESE at 7knots/8mph. The water was great today, the temperature was 27C/82F and the visibility was around 70-80ft/21-24m.

We dove at 90ft/27m on Pared Verde today for 33min. We saw 2 Hawksbill Turtles, 2 Barracuda, 3 Stingrays, big schools of French Grunts, and 5 Lionfish. The current was great, not strong, but just enough to make the dive effortless. Great dive with great divers.

We dove Cueva Pargo at 36ft/11m today for 50min. We saw 4 Spotted Eels, one Pipehorse, several Lobsters, Conch, and huge schools of Snapper. Wonderful dive, visibility was great.

We will be posting these dive reports everyday or close to every day, so if you want to know the weather, conditions and what we are diving with stay tuned. Hope you enjoy and happy diving.

Thanks for the report. We will be arriving next Tuesday (22nd). You will be the first stop after checking in.....well maybe the second.....a cold beer first. Want to get on the list for Wednesday afternoon.:banana:

This morning there is no diving, due to scheduled maintenance on the boat. I thought I would give you guys an update on todays weather and water conditions. The temperature right now is 29C/84F with the wind blowing from the East at 9knots/10.35mph. Little bit more windy than yesterday, but the water is not being affected by it too much with the wave height over the cantil at 3.6ft/1.1m. We have Open Water courses a couple DSD's this afternoon and I think we will be going to Moche and Jardines. Stay tuned for those dive reports later today.

Enjoy your day every one and if you are able, Happy Diving!

June 17, 2010

Cueva Pargo

Today is a beautiful day with the air temperature at 28C/84F. Wind are coming from the ESE at 7knots/8mph. The water today is great with the waves at .9m/2.9ft and the water temperature is 28C/82F.

Today at Cueva Pargo the visibility was about 70ft/21m. A little bit less than our last dive, but that is due to the rain we got all day yesterday. Once again Cueva Pargo was awesome with tons of life and the best was seeing a school of about 50 Tarpon at 35ft/10.6m. We rarely see the tarpon this shallow and what a treat it was to see them. The way the sunlight was hitting their giant scales was almost blinding, absolutely beautiful.

We are headed to Moche and Jardines with students this afternoon. Take care everyone and Happy Diving!

Whale sharks in Playa? Hello Geofish, just heard a rumor that the whale sharks have been seen recently. Any word?

I haven't heard of any Whale Sharks in the Playa area right now, but about 3 months ago one of our instructors saw on in the distance at one of our shallow reefs. But right now we have been hearing that shops are seeing Manatees at Moche, one of our shallow reefs. So we have been hoping to see them sometime, but so far no luck. But once we see a Whale Shark or Manatees, you can bet you guys on here will hear about it.

Yesterday June 20, 2010

We took the day off and my brother, myself, and good friend of ours thought we would go over to Cozumel and take a trip with the dive op we use on the Island, Aquatic Sports and Expeditions. Absolutely incredible experience. We dove Devils Throat (Punta Sur). Our max depth was 124ft/37.5m and the water temp was 82F/27C. Leading up to the cave, the formations were unbelievable and the amount of huge black groupers we saw blew my mind. The cave started at about 85ft/25.7m and it shoots you out over the cantil at 124ft/37.5m. Once we exited the cave we ascended to about 80ft/24m and that is where we saw 3 beautiful Eagle Rays feeding in the sand just off the reef. This was followed by two Juvenile Hawksbill turtles descending from the surface, one coming within inches of my mask. The visibility was at least 100+ft and the current was perfect. Our bottom time was 53 minutes.

The second dive was at Yucab and into Tormentos where we stayed for 1 hr and 25 min. We about 4 more big Black Groupers and 6 tiny Painted Elysia's and the aways bashful Splendid Toadfish.

Unbelievable day of diving. Also the whole day we were diving with the owner of the shop and his father Sergio who is living legend in the scuba diving industry. He took Jacques Cousteau to Santa Rosa wall in 1973. It was a real honor to be able to dive with Cousteau's onetime dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom