Sleeping Shark Cave - Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakevinp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have been down diving for a few weeks and have dove Sleeping Shark Cave probably 50 times over the last 6 years. Sometimes there might be a nurse shark but never any real sharks. 3 Days ago we dove there and there was a big bull shark "sleeping" in the cave, maybe 9 foot long. I swam up, within a few feet, he looked at me, turned and swam away. It was pretty cool. I did not have my camera.
We have also done so many night dives here and we always go to Manchones in the national park. Nice dive, 30 feet max. I talked my buddy into taking us on a night dive to Sleeping Shark Cave. We found a few nurse sharks, but no Bull shark. It was a awesome dive, big turtles, tons of fish, so many star fish and worms swimming around. I had my camera and will post some photos later.
Going to Arrowsmith on Friday. 26 miles out in the open ocean. I will report later.
Got go diving again in a hour, life is rough........I love diving.

Hey Kev,

I am still mad about the great diving you're getting in. Will check it out in Nov. but will bring my camera. Too bad you guys won't be there, but there is always x-mas.

S

I made that dive many years ago & there were many sharks, mostly Nurse, there then . I understand that few are seen there, now. Maybe it's hype as a great dive drove them away.

We are going to Cancun for Thanksgiving. The dive ops I spoke with all said November was just about when the bulls showed up. They offered it unsolicited when I asked about a shark dive.

Thanks for you post!! its great to hear there are still occasional sightings of sharks around the area. I saw a big black tip about a week ago just north of Puerto Morelos, totally unexpected! its rare these days and we dont even mention sharks in our dive breifings anymore....
When will Shark week on discovery channel stop exploiting the sharks, Bulls in particular as man eaters and show them for what they really are and what humans are doing to them?? Beautiful, graceful & apex animals been slaughtered and finned by the millions every year!!
Enjoy Arrowsmith & be careful with that wild current!

I had been told that the Sleeping Shark Cave had been severely damaged by a hurricaine some years ago, and that because of this there were far fewer sharks actually using it. Perhaps this is why you've seen so few?

The reason there are so few sharks is because of fishermen and long lines, just like every where else in the world. I have seen video from 30 years ago, shot by Ramon Bravo, a legend on Isla. There were Tiger sharks in the cave back then. My friends have told me the use to be tiger, hammerhead and bull near the island, no more , you are lucky to see just nurse sharks. I have seen fishermen come in with over 20 big sharks in their boat. The rate we (man) are going there will not be much left for us (divers) to see in the oceans, kind of sad.

Back
Top Bottom