How is Playa DEl Carmen and Cozumel in September??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icetime2

Reaction score
Since I have never been there I am just wondering if people would let me know what they think about diving in playa and or Cozumel in September....is the weather nice and are there many people in each places. Are there a lot of tourists at this time of year??

Thanks in advance for your time!!!

Marc

icetime2 once bubbled...
Since I have never been there I am just wondering if people would let me know what they think about diving in playa and or Cozumel in September....is the weather nice and are there many people in each places. Are there a lot of tourists at this time of year??

Thanks in advance for your time!!!

Well, it is the peak of hurricane season, but the odds are still against one hitting right where you are and when you are there. It's a bit rainier then, too, but that usually means a short shower or two during the afternoon. There's really not a bad time of year to go there.

It is the low season, so things will generally be a bit less crowded, but the cruise ships that frequent Playa and Coz will still come. The cruseros are not that hard to avoid, though; they hang out mostly in the first block next to the water and in Carlos n' Charlie's and Senor Frog's, and mostly during the day.

Marc,

Interesting that you should ask that question. I'm seeking my PADI certification this weekend, and will be in PDC from 9-27 to 10-4-03. I'm hoping to take one or two dive excursions while I'm there. Do you know anything about the cost? Is $90 -$100 USD about right? Do you know anything about the different dive shops? Who's most reputable? Who gives you the most bang for your buck? Etc.

Looking forward to your response.

Mark

You can get two tank dives for 35-100 dollars (US). It depends on what you are looking for. I like ALDORA divers (www.aldora.com), but they are on the extreme expense side. Your average dive op is 50-60 bucks per 2-tank dive. There are so many different dive ops on the island tht you sort of have to pick what is your favorite favor and what you want to do. When you decide who you want to persue, be sure to email the different DO and ask them all your question. Dive only with who YOU are comfortable. As always, when you get there reasess the DO by doing a visual inspection of thier gear, facilities, and boats...etc. Do not dive with a DO if you get a "bad fuzzy" :drown: . Dive Safe. You may want to check the threads in the Mexico section. This topic has been covered in depth.

Semper Fi,
USMC DIVER
:patriot:

In PDC, check out Tanh Ha http://www.tankha.com/ & Cyan Ha http://www.cyanha.com/

While you're there, I highly recommend a cenote diving trip.

You're looking at about $55-$60 for a 2-tank morning dive, $35 for a 1-tank afternoon dive, $45 for a night dive & $90-$100 for a 2-tank cenote dive that includes everything including beverages & a box lunch.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Where in PDC or Coz does one find a dive op offering a 2-tank dive for $35?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

I dove Playa and Coz in mid august and it was great but a little warm. I am from CO. so the humidity was a big change.

I tried Tank-Ha and I was disappointed with the response I got from talking with Wolfie. I wanted to do a morn and afternoon dive but he kept on insisting that because I had under 14 dives that I could only do the afternoon dive the next day so he could check me out. He lost the business and I went with AquaWorld which is a huge operation but not very personal. They were very safety minded and I was diving with my wife and we kept an eye on each other. The boat for AquaWorld was new and very comfortable and they had no problem taking off thier gauges and putting on my computer.

I saw a huge grouper and turtles of the Santa Rosa wall.

Very impressive..

Have fun and let us know how the trip went

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Where in PDC or Coz does one find a dive op offering a 2-tank dive for $35?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

I am going to have to check my records but I think it was a deal out of BRISAS but don't quote me on that. I am going to have to check it out.

USMC DIVER:scuba:

Hey USMC Diver, Razor & DocVikingo,

Thanks for your responses! You've all been very helpful.

Have any of you dived with ScubaCaribe? Would you know if there are there any 5 Star PADI dive operators in Playa del Carmen? The comments made by people in the guest book at scubacaribe.com were very favorable for the most part. Very few negative comments. ScubaCaribe offers a free dive (buy one, get one free) if I make an online reservation with them. It's a tempting offer. They seem to have personnel at all the major resorts in Playa, particularly the RIU resorts. And we'll be staying at the RIU Playacar. I've e-mailed a number of people that left messages in their guest book at their web site. I'm hoping to hear back from a few that stayed at the Playacar.

USMC Diver, I suspect that you're a very experienced diver. Would you recommend that I take a trip out to Cozumel, or stick with the local Playa sites? Remember, my PADI open water certification will only be two weeks old when I arrive in Playa. These will be my first dives, post certification.

Any additional info. or help that any of you may be able to provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Bundle,

Mark :)

One thing to consider is that the surface conditions are nearly always easier on the diver around Cozumel than at Playa del Carmen, since the dive sites at Coz are mostly in the lee of the island, i.e., protected by the island from the swells of the open Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom