Rocky Point ,Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm taking a trip to Phoenix in December and thinking about a detour to Rocky Point to get in the water. Would it be worth it? I'm actually considering living in the Tucson area in a couple of years and was wondering what the diving was like since it's only 3 hours away. Also, what kind of water temps at that time and how heavy of a wetsuit will we need?

I think within the last year Dive Training magazine has done articles on both Rocky Point and San Carlos. I've been to Rocky point one time and will never go back. I travel thru San Carlos all the time and stay there a few days at a time. Never dove either. Dive shops in the Tucson/Phoenix area often travel to San Carlos for their open water dives. San Carlos is a much better place to vacation and from Tucson an easier/better, though longer drive. May thru October the water is warm to hot, Decemburr 3 mil. Desert climate, so cold nights.

Good luck, adios don O

San Carlos is straight south of Nogales, the "real" Mexican town is Guymas. (south of Hermisillo) Rocky Point exists only for Americans crossing the border for a weekend or the winter. Expensive and all gringos. No for real city. If no one else was there it might be pretty. I guess it depends on how you feel about jet skis and atv's and snowbirds. Or the weekend college crowd.

adios don O

How were the two underwater? How much farther? Is it worth diving either one at that time of year or should we forget it or maybe do San Diego?

Again I've never dove SC or RP. Have dove SD. How many days do you have for diving/traveling? If you're thinking of living in Tucson, by all means try San Carlos. (I think 5 hours, I tow a trailer and am slow) If you dive SD (again 5+hours, remember the driving to altitude part afterwards, 4000ft)

Will you have your own gear? Both SC and SD will have rental or you can pick it up in Phoenix /Tempe /Tucson.

Check the dive shops in Tucson on the internet. I think in Phoenix it's about a toss up between Catalina and SC.

adios don O

Will have gear and be driving. Plan on about 1 day sightseeing and 1 or 2 days diving. Would prefer Mexico as have done SD already. Would like to see what's in the Baja. Can basically have as many days as we want if the trip would be worth it assuming mom and dad will take care of the dogs that long!

Howdy I just returned from San Carlos, and will give a report later, but for someone living in Tucson http://www.desertdivers.com have their own (nice) dive boat at the marina in San Carlos, I don;t have his number but Russ works at the shop and is a cornacopia of information. the run monthy dive trips along with other shops always a good group of people

http://www.garysdvieshop.com is located in San Carlos his web page has the information that you are looking for. Ths is the place people go that are not in a group. so someone that just want to look around and stuff here is the best place.

San Carlos is more of a dive town unlike Rocky point that is more of a vacation party town

I went down with a shop from Mesa that has a deal with Club MED and you can read about that later.

any more questions just ask

I can't wait to read your report!! I think we will have to check out San Carlos it sounds like!

Back
Top Bottom