Oyster Toadfish in Puerto Aventuras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a night dive this past Friday our divers found what looks like an Oyster Toadfish. The photos, taken by Pam S. are posted in the photo gallery http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/140523[/URL]. The question is, if the ID is correct, they are not supposed to be in the area as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?

Jim
Aquanauts Dive Shop

Attachments

• Toad Fish-3email.jpg
    Toad Fish-3email.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Toad Fish-6-email.jpg
    Toad Fish-6-email.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Toad Fish-7-email.jpg
    Toad Fish-7-email.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 155
  • Toad Fish-8-email.jpg
    Toad Fish-8-email.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I think this will get better responses in the general Mexico forum. I've asked the mods to move it. Hope you don't mind.

Albeit slightly different from the photo in Reef Fish Identification, by their written description, I'm leaning towards the Large Eye Toadfish:

"Long chin barbels that are often branched. Fleshy tabs (papillae) along lateral line have fine outer points".

After some more searching about on the net, I'm starting to think that it is a Gulf Toadfish. Still not a native to the area, but only 300 or so miles from home.

Jim
Aquanauts

My wife took this photo yesterday at Paso del Cedral in Cozumel.
As far as we can tell it is an Oyster Toadfish but maybe someone can enlighten us?
She was looking for Splendid Toadfish at the time but spotted this!

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 511
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom