Scorpio Divers Cancun. Who are they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorpio Divers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hola guys and gals…..

Given all the controversy there is going on on the net about us and the bombarding of some people I want to make you guys out there get to know us as we have nothing to hide.

Ben Mooney and my self started Scorpio Divers in 2009.

It was initially the idea of Liane Acheson (RIP), Jorge Tapia and Ben Mooney.

We all had/have a love for the Ocean and what it offers and wanted something different, for divers from divers.

My personal experience is I have been diving since 1997 as both my parents were divers since the early 70's and always talked about seeing sharks and barracudas which just amazed me.

I was a recreational diver for many years while I led a "city-business life, graduated from Un and worked on a desk for 10yrs+" in the small town of Mexico City.

One time while visiting Cancun and after so much research on the net I came a cross Ben Mooney who answered my emails very truthfully and seemed to have that spark for diving I too had.

I had dove for many years in many operations and always found to be trapped in the normal type of shop: jump here, out here, times up, back, adios, and Ben offered something different to this.

So based on the principle of making this what we as divers would like, Ben, Liane and me started this concept of custom making dives for different skills of divers always offering something different. Diving the way it should be.

Liane tragically passed away in Toronto Canada, August 2009 just before the opening of the Operation, making this a personal goal to make our dream come true and real.

We started with 1 diver and no money, LOL. The "H1N1" situation had killed turism in this area and people were just scared to come; the world wide economic recession was no help at all, and Liane's passing away was very hard to us emotionally, but we still kept the dream alive.

Our savings were running low as there was almost no work, so we had to rent all, so we could to offer our services and keep our dream alive.

We had the perfect plan but no resources to make our own equipment at the time, so we chose the "best" operators at the time and rented their boats, gear, etc… god, I even used my personal truck to transport people making it take a beat!!! (the ones who were with us will remember those times).

We offered dives at midnight, 4am, dusk, dawn, etc… always making just different as we also are divers and enjoy this ideas of trying to find the different spot, reef, animal, etc…

Believe me, it was (and is) VERY hard work and we did all ourselves. The days didn't have enough hours, week didn't have enough days… we were working to full capacity.

So I went online, and physically went to a lot of operations and found Scuba Pro and Aqualung to be good regulators and equipment to use for our divers: always choosing just the best.

Soon we saved up and started buying our own stuff.

We initially chose Scuba Pro as I am EXTREMELY picky and a gadget/research guy (those who know me will smile at this). Then when we saved more, we chose the New Aqualung line as they offer supreme quality regs, BCD's. You should have seen our faces when we had our first regs, it was such a happy day, we were sooo proud.

The little money we made, we re-invested it in equipment and the shop.

I remember the first Tshirts… as we just had enough for 5, we printed 5 (super pricey-those in print will know!!!), then we did 30, then 100, then 200, and so on (now were out of stock…sry!!!, more coming soon).

We would come back from diving, picking up/dropping of divers, have meetings, Ben and I, thinking what would be best for the future and would work on the computer at night till late.

The ones who know us personally, know we work from home, gym, marina, boat, surface interval, anytime,anywhere, were always hooked on answering everyone and giving the best service to our capacity to our divers as we would have liked that for us if we were to be visiting a dive operation here, I even had a pic of me from one of our divers, bringing my Blackberry diving (in a housing) to see if I could get a signal and MAYBE when it was SAFE and pertinent I could do some work underwater…. (I wont say if it worked or not… but the pic is great, LOL).

Our hard work soon started to give us more and more work and now a days we get full almost all the time, which to us means a bigger responsibility to always offer the best of us, and believe me guys, we really try, we are human and as all, were not perfect.

Almost 2 years after, we have been very happy to come across so many special divers and shared our life's with them having experiences that make this business such a joy and the hard work be worth it.

We have always offered diving for small groups and will always offer it for small groups, even if we get more work, we don't exceed our ratio of DM/Instructor per divers, BTW were are not like other operators offering small groups as they cant fill their boats anymore, we do it as OUR standards since day 1.

I cant really post all what we do and offer as you guys understand we DO have competition trying to offer the same, but it will never be like that, were always on top of the next project and will always be.

Now a days, I run the operational side of the business and have an amazing crew who to our standards offer what we always have offered: safety fun and Scorpio Diving! (and when i cant take the business life I dive again :)

My normal day is Mon to Mon is 5am wake up gym, emails, web, meetings, checking all goes well, etc. till 10pm. This is hard work in paradise, no party, no drinks, I lead a very very healthy life with a very specific diet to be able to offer my hard work to my business and keep offering this part of us to you guys.

Personally, when I read bad comments, like some made in Tripadvisor and here (Scubaboard), it gets to me as I wish those people who don't really know all what happens behind this operation, would just come for one day and sat next to us for the day to see all whats done to make this real, a lot of work.

We never intend to give a bad service to anyone, our hearts and minds are in giving are best service and of us, and believe me, it takes a toll sometimes on us too: the no-rest life, but hey, thats owning a business!, and believe me, if you guys could see the special times we share with our divers, it would make sense to work like this.

Yes we rented our boats, equipment and all in the start, but now, we OWN our equipment and will continue to grow and offer just the best, and we never kept is a secret, like some say!

For those with the boat doubt do we own it, do we don't???(no names), we have chosen to work with Sunset Marina for Our Cancun facility, as thats one of the few Marinas with clean engines (were eco friendly), that will not break down, trained personal that will react in case of emergency, great facilities to offer the best of us. We, unlike others choose to offer security over our greed of being solo owners of a boat that can break down, depends on few, a bad engine, or crew that wont show up. This way, not only we guarantee the trips but also safe diving.

For our Morelos crew we have our boat together with Carlos (some of you know him), where this year we made it bigger and better to keep offering a better choice for you guys, I would like that as a diver diving in Morelos.

Our Playa crew, now short of a member due to a heart condition (recovering now), always try to offer the best they can and make it special moment, keeping us updated on how many sharks, whats new etc.

Our whale shark crew with who we areebusiness partners since long time, have to my point of view some of the best fast boats here, with twin 200hp engines, and Scorpio hauls (what a coincidence!!!) offering one of the best services around for this.

We personally train yearly ALL our staff in EFR and have emergency info to our reach at all times. We will prevent all situations from happening but if they happen we will be ready. All our boats carry O2, and have EFR active trained crew.

We are (Scorpio Divers) a DAN facility with the number: 6100171, and will always add more to our operation to make it the best dive operation available in our hands.

Now, some divers may not look for this type of diving, they might want to go with a bigger operator, or a different type of diving situation, which is fine, we actually recommend divers to others when they are looking for something like that.

We offer diving for divers and new divers who want to have the passion as we do for the ocean and admire the amazing things this has, like when we saw the leatherback turtle, the sailfish, or when we do the bull sharks or event the beauty of the wrecks we have among some of the many things here to admire.

To us the ocean is just something different, a word of mystery that you can go anytime and always find something else to make it just amazing.

I hope this little biography of us helps you guys have an idea of who we are and what we do from our side, and don't be strangers, if ever in the area, come say hi.

We don't self post (as mentioned), we don't need to, our divers have been family to us and continue to amaze us on their support and make all this hard work worth it, thanks guys, we seriously thank you.

We are real people who you can find here, our phone is +52 998 8988677, email: scorpiodivers@gmail.com, or meet us in Facebook: scorpiodviers@yahoo.com

Wishing you all a very good day,

Jorge Tapia
Scorpio Divers.

My wife and I dove with Ben and Jorge last summer and can't wait to go back and dive with them again! We hadn't dove in 10 years before trying one day of diving with them that turned into three or four, and now we're hooked. They really are just two guys trying to run a business and take great care of their clients. Diving was a lot of fun with them and very personalized. Can't recommend them enough!

-Graham

My opinion may be biased, because after diving whith Jorge and Ben we ended up being friends, but theirs is the best dive operation I've encountered. I don't know what went wrong with the displeased costumers, but I can assure you that they made everything that they could to make my dive experience something to remember (Jorge even let me join him in a friends/staff only Birthday dive).

Greetings from Guadalajara!

I'm an experienced diver and my wife just took her open water (in Calgary !) and we both had a great time diving with Scorpio divers out of Cancun. Scorpio featured excellent dive masters, good boat operators and small groups. It was also very convenient to be picked up and dropped off at the hotel.

My wife is now and avid diver and that speaks volumes to how the smoothly the operation ran.

Definitely this operation is about safety and diving fun and not about the fanciest boats !

The cenote diving through an affiliated operation was great as well !

Annalee and I will be back to dive with Jorge and Ben!
cheers,
michael

My husband and I dove with Scorpio for our last week in Cancun and it was excellent. We went all over the Yucatan. Cozumel, cenotes, reefs, we even did my first wreck. They picked us up at our hotel that was well out of the hotel zone. I'd recommend them to anyone :)

Blake and Jason

I just realized my avatar is a pic of me diving in a cenote with Scorpio :)

I have had the pleasure of diving with both Ben and Jorge on our past 2 trips down to Cancun.
I recomend them to other divers looking to dive in the Cancun area, and will be diving with them again in 2012 when I return .
They aren't the biggest operation out there, but for me they are the best. Bigger doesn't always make it better.
My daughter still talks about the dives we did last summer, and the fish tacos after the dive.
You can tell that she is my kid. Scuba diving then food, what could be beter.

Jim breslin

Jorge, great job and I truly admire your professionalism in running your dive shop. I had such great time diving with you last August, and I am coming back to dive with you again this August. See you in Cancun.

It is even more amazing that almost 1 year after I dove with you, we are still in touch, sharing our passion in diving! This is unheard of in my previous experiences with other dive shops. I dove in Maui, Kauai, Puerto Rico, California. No other dive shop except yours treat customers like friends...

Great post Jorge!!

I've had the privilege of diving with Ben and Jorge on two trips. About 12 or 14 dives in total. These guys are the real deal. They are divers that care about the divers they are with and the diving that is done. Their passion for the ocean and for diving is simply incredible. That, complimented with their passion for their customers takes them to a new level. I suspect I'm not much different than most that dive with Ben and Jorge, when you're done diving you feel like you've got friends for life that for some odd reason you feel like you've known for years.

I did what most do on my first trip. I researched here, trip advisor, and sent a bunch of e-mails to assess the best operation in Cancun. I had been initially pretty set on a PADI shop but after some research and some speedy communication from Scorpio it becAme pretty apparent they were the shop to use. That trip clearly proved the research was right. Scorpio was the best.

Second trip to Cancun no research was necessary. Scorpio was it. Dives were incredible as usual. Now I spend my time trying to convince my bride that trips to Cancun are the best - just so I can dive with Scorpio.

Final point, my daughter wanted to try diving out. Ben and Jorge were really the only two guys I trusted to have this done right. Training went incredibly well, and my daughter is officially a diver.

I get how important who you dive with is. Which is why I trust these guys and trust recommending them. If you want an incredible dive trip in Cancun, trust Scorpio. I do, and will again. My research for dive shops in Cancun ends quickly with an e-mail to Ben and Jorge to set up the next trip.

Jack

I dove with these guys on my honeymoon last summer (I was the young guy dubbed 007 until I lost my wedding ring...) and everything was awesome. Picked me up from the hotel, brought us to the boat, excellent guides and awesome dives.
I will definitely contact these guys again when I go back down.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom