Things to do at Uxmal and Chichen Itza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Of Uxmal and Chichen Itza, which place would you recommend to spend the most time when planning to visit both of them?
What is there to do close by?

We are planning to arrive at one of them at night. And spend the entire next day there before driving to the other one. Stay one more night and spend some time at that place before leaving for PDC such that we get back not too late.

I have a couple of recommendations, based on one overnight experience at Chichen Itza and two at Uxmal. I'm assuming you are going to rent a car in Playa del Carmen and drive, and I would recommend using the toll road from Cancun to Chichen Itza. One stop along the way (but will consume some time) is a ruin near Valladolid called Ek Balam.

A "perfect" trip for me would be to get an early start from PDC, stop at Ek Balam, get into Chichen Itza late afternoon/early evening, get your ticket to enter Chichen that night (which should also include the night light show and the next day's admission); see the site the next morning, and drive toward Merida/Uxmal (going back to the toll road) that afternoon. Do the main ruin at Uxmal the next morning, and then the minor sites I list below that afternoon, spend another night in Uxmal, and then head back via Mayapan the next morning. You may not have time in your schedule to accomodate this, but it would be maximum Mayan exposure over the shortest period of time.

For Chichen Itza, I'd recommend staying at the Archeological Villa. It is within walking distance of the side entrance to the ruins site, and is very comfortable and well maintained (at least it was a couple of years ago). They have an on-site dining room, pool, etc.

For Uxmal, I'd recommend staying at The Lodge at Uxmal. Even though there is also an Archeological Villa at Uxmal (almost identical in architecture to the one in Chichen), we were not as impressed with the management of that property, and actually spent most of our meals at the Lodge.

There is a loop around Merida now (back when I first did this trip you had to go almost into downtown Merida to make the turn south) and I highly recommend it. Once on the southbound highway, you are on the Ruta Puuc. In the vicinity of Uxmal there are some "minor" sites (Kabha, Sayil, Xlapa, and Labna) which are well worth turning into an afternoon (although you'll be a little rushed). I'd also strongly recommend a guide at Uxmal (we've done it both ways, and our guide pointed out stuff we had never noticed on our prior trip). I think you can self-guide Chichen Itza, but I've been there several times, so I may be biased (but it is the more restored and documented of the two major sites you mentioned).

Also, on your trip back, I'd also recommend stopping at Maypan. This is a later Mayan ruin site, and has some very clear murals, and well rehabilitated structures.

Hope this helps. I can provide additional information is you need it. PM me if I can be of further assistance.

Of Uxmal and Chichen Itza, which place would you recommend to spend the most time when planning to visit both of them?
What is there to do close by?

We are planning to arrive at one of them at night. And spend the entire next day there before driving to the other one. Stay one more night and spend some time at that place before leaving for PDC such that we get back not too late.

While Ibj40 gave some good suggestions, I'll some views. I've not been to Uxmal as it was just too far from PDC/Coz for me compared to other available ruins of somewhat similar interest. Mapquest shows 101 miles from Vallodoldid to Merida, then another 49 to Uxmal which doesn't sound so bad, but then the nearly 300 miles back to PDC made me want to see other ruins closer to PDC. This link Mayan Ruins Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula Mayan Ruins, Mexico gives a pretty good intro to the list with links for more info.

If you want to go that far to visit Uxmal tho, it does look like a rewarding site. As far as things to do near the two famous ruins, the cities of Vallodoldid to Merida and their cenotes sound interesting themselves, but don't miss Ek Balam as it really is quite rewarding - especially if you're up to climbing the acropolis at the back to check out the artwork. We weren't, after a morning at Chichen Itza, but it was still a nice visit, not far from CI - just north of Valladoldid.

Sticking to the toll road is safer I am sure and there is a nice bypass just south of the Cancun airport that makes it easy to access, but make sure you have a full tank of gas leaving PDC, along with emergency water as there is nothing between Cancun and Valladoldid but jungle and the one stop where you pay your toll. I preferred the other route tho, down to Tulum, up thru Coba, then the loop around Valladoldid - more places to stop and variety. This also takes you by the overly manicured ruins of Tulum as well as the spread out ruins of Coba, the latter best done with a rented bicycle and a backpack with a minimum of two quarts of water each IMO.

The Villa Arqueologica chain gets mixed reviews at their various properties but is probly nice enough for most, I'm sure it would have been for me, but I found a good deal on the Mayaland Hotel at right at the back gate to CI so we tried it - and it was delightful. If you don't mind spending up to twice as much as you would at the Villa Arqueologica, then the Mayaland is just lovely, very nice restaurant, lovely grounds, and and excellent entrance to CI. The Villa Arqueologica is on the same road not far from the back gate to CI tho, I think, so - whichever.

Here is a third vote for Ek Balam. All the Mayan buildings were covered in plaster. Over time this has all but washed away leaving what the Mayan's would consider an unfinished building. The sole exception to date is Ek Balam. On the Acropolis there is one large section where the plaster remains. The site has literally rewritten the books on Terminal Period Mayan art. Well worth the time and trouble it takes to visit.

Thanks for the replies.
First day we will travel to Uxmal from PDC. But not before we do the morning dives in Cozumel and take the ferry to PDC.
The second day we will spend most the time in Uxmal before travelling to Chichen Itza in the evening.
Last day we start in Chichen Itza and then depending on how much time we have we will visit at least Ek Balam on the way back to a hotel in PDC.

Thanks for the replies.
First day we will travel to Uxmal from PDC. But not before we do the morning dives in Cozumel and take the ferry to PDC.
The second day we will spend most the time in Uxmal before travelling to Chichen Itza in the evening.
Last day we start in Chichen Itza and then depending on how much time we have we will visit at least Ek Balam on the way back to a hotel in PDC.
I think you need to check your mileage again. Have you ever finished a morning of diving, packed, caught the ferry, and rented a car in PDC? You won't make Uxmal by dinner. Oh, you may be diving rental gear tho, which I won't. Just taking an overnight bag, leaving gear in a room paid for the week, we did good to make Chichen Itza for dinner, but then that also depends on what time the ferries run that day.
Good luck and have a good trip​

That's why the first day we will only travel to Uxmal... :) Then the next day visit Uxmal ruins. We are not planning to get there before (late) in the evening.
Same with Chichen Itza. Travel there from Uxmal in the evening and use the morning after to visit the ruins. We want to start at both places in the morning when there are less people.

Thanks for the replies.

Ek Balam is close to the toll road and is a small site. Figure a 20-30 minute drive time and two hours to tour the site. One thing I will promise you is that you will have more pictures of Ek Balam than either Uxmal or Chichen Itza. I would spend the morning at CI, visit EB and you will be back in PDC for dinner.

I would highly recommend you get the map of the area (Mayan Adventure) from cancunmap.com-Your information source

Ok, if you'd rather drive than eat, then it may work. I think I would overnight in Merida tho.

We did Chichen Itza and Ek Balam the same day after overnighting at CI, then made it to Cozumel for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom