Cenotes of Mexico 05/20-05/29/2011 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I spent a week in Playa del Carmen, MX 05/23 – 05/30/2011 cave diving with guide Etienne Rousseau. I have previously had Etienne as a guide in November, 2010. Etienne already knows my abilities and took me to some beautiful locations- all of which I had not been to before in November. A really good guide keeps track of what clients have done previously, notes their abilities and plans new locations accordingly. With the incredible variety of amazing caves in the area, this was not hard to do. Most dives were ~2 hrs in duration and for the most part were shallow at their max depths ~19-77’. Water temp was a consistent 78F with air temps well into the 90s and very few clouds. I drank 4-5 liters of water daily. I enjoyed these caves because they were somewhat different from the caves of Ginnie Springs, Florida. In particular, they had minimal flow and often had soft calcite flaking formations. I especially enjoyed the halocline with transitions into the salt water. Narrow passages for long duration like that at Minautoro were good to have done at the end of the week. I was on vacation, but I did want to be challenged and try different types of caves. With this second visit again being a wonderful experience in the caves of Mexico, I know it is only a matter of time and I’ll be back for more cave diving adventures. Again, I’ll hire Etienne as guide. www.closedsystemdiving.com

I was never a fan of being videotaped underwater because I tended to focus on being very critical of myself. I decided that I would get a video taken so my family could finally see the beauty I saw below the water. Karin Pointer with Blue Motion Video made a video for me. It is ~13 minutes long. It was the first time I have been videotaped underwater in a cave. It was a really good experience to have this done and I would recommend it to others. Her professional set up and execution of the scenes was well done. My family & friends enjoyed seeing the beauty of the cave as well as the set up of the gear. I’d highly recommend her as a videographer. bluemotionvideo.com

Here’s a listing of the dive sites (some deliberately vague), and relevant comments:

05/23 Dos Ojos, Motz Zai Yah
Although shallow 21’, this afforded some beautiful vistas underwater. Cave was amazingly decorated with two restrictions. Passed two other cenote openings and saw a few ‘holes’ of sunlight shining like a Jesus beam onto the rocks below warming bubbles out of a calcite rock pile. It looked like something straight out of the Fifth Element. Creatures seen underwater were gray shrimp, white tiny shrimp, white isopod, Tetra & a large striped Perch. Steps down to Cenote were steep. Saw a Mot Mot bird, a Parrot snake and watched a Brown Basilisk run like an Olympic athlete. Parking was enough only for 1 car in the roasting sun. Welcome to Mexico.

05/24 Chan Hol
Cenote was a tiny opening and was extremely shallow at less than 3’. Proper perfect buoyancy was an absolute must here for prone entry. Once inside, cave opened up to be quite possibly the most beautiful cave I have ever seen. We dove a series of T’s through fragile formations. Topside were Orioles, black Swallowtail butterflies and equally brilliant flowers.

05/26 Zacil Ha (Luke’s place) to Adrianna’s Room and Car Wash
Entered Luke’s Place which had a very well maintained swim/sunbathing area around the cenote entrance. Dove to Room of Tears where the beauty did make me cry. There were several restrictions along the way including one where I was obligated to pass directly downward to continue. Almost reminded me of Ginnie Springs Lips passage – but vertical & without a high flow. Because I was in doubles and Etienne in sidemount, it was up to me to determine if the entrance was to narrow & turn the dive. Dove through Adrianna’s Room where we stopped as the line ended. Saw many fossils of shells & even a pre ice age fire pit intact with charcoal. Saw blind fish, isopods & small white shrimp. Second dive was in the other direction to Car Wash where a warm feeling algae bloom made the lily pads appear as thought they were in fog. I kept scanning for the two crocodiles seen last Fall but did not spot them.

5/27 Nai Tucha; Tux Kupaxa
Video dive! Karin Pointer with Blue Motion Video made a video for me. It was a long ride to the entrance down dirt roads through the jungle. Below, we did several jumps and remained at a nice deliberate pace. The shallower areas afforded vistas of the bubbles trapped on the ceiling which were reflective until directly beneath them. Formations were spectacular. Inside there were forensic cones (similar to CSI) near the remains of ancient creature bones. Saw small catfish near the entrance where shrimp were grayish. Deeper in the cave, shrimp were tiny and white. Topside were Brown Bats, a Mot Mot bird, Brown Basilisks, a Spider Monkey, a Spiny Iguana, Orioles & a colorful lizard.

5/28 Cristal Cenote: Na Ha Ron & Mayan Blue
Although Mayan Blue had gated access across the street from Na Ha Ron entrance, the parking lot had a great deal of shattered glass. I armed the car & packed absolutely everything unused into the trunk. Welcome to Mexico. Algae bloom made for an eerie entrance with many logs while I warily watched for crocodiles. Once into the cave, there were yellow waxy dripstone formations but yet, walls were dark and ancient looking with Goethite on the ceiling until we reached the salt area. Formations became crumbly with many coral formations either eroded or extremely fragile. Tetras stopped following once we reached the salt water. I love the transition in and out of the salt and fresh water. The illusion of a false ceiling from below the salt water at 65’never ceases to be exciting and amazing. Na Ha Ron was accessed on the other side of the road. Dive was quite similar but topside the area was better for families & had shaded areas. Many Tetras, Mollies in the green algae and a single Moor Hen paddling around at the surface.

05_29 Minautoro
The road to Minautoro had changed and was now on the right, however access from the left once inside still looked accessible. Depth averaged 12’ with a maximum of 19’ and at one point in the carousel was 2’. Proper buoyancy is a must as there was no place to surface. Entrance area had several gray shrimp and gray catfish. Inside, white shrimp and white blind fish (which were very small and different looking than elsewhere). Placed 4 cookies and did the loop beyond the carousel. Fossils of urchins with spines nearby really made me understand how old these caves are and how few people have been in these systems. Although the cave was fresh water, it was clear that over the millions of years, the cave was not only dry, but at some points was also salt. Topside, locals swimming and drinking beer. My keys materialized out of someone’s pockets but the car remained locked.

Thanks again to Etienne & Karin for making this a wonderfully adventurous trip and a memorable vacation to share with my family.

Back
Top Bottom