Conflicting reports in Cabo....what's the deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are heading to Cabo diving July 7-11 and have been watching the 2 Cabo threads. Today there are VERY conflicting dive reports from competing companies. What's the deal here?

Today 06:00 PM #10
Dive Sites: The Cannery and Pelican Rock
Water Temps: 64f-70f Visibility: 10-15ft
Water still seemed very cool and churned up.Had a couple of great dives today though with Sea Horses, Panamic Morays, Frogfish, Some Large Stonefish, Octopus and more....

:confused::confused::confused:

Today 06:09 AM #5
Cabo San Lucas Dive Report June 16th 2011
Hi Divers We are getting back to normal.Vis.Today was 40 feet Water Temp. 77 Degrees.All local Dive locations were calm with no wind. We have a slight current from the west to the east.There was 4 to5 feet waves outside the the Bay Of Cabo San Lucas.
Divers reported seeing lots of big Lobsters,Green Morays and tons of Fish at Peligan Rock. Neptunes Finger two Green Sea Turtles were seen,Lots of Groupers at 35 feet in the 35 to 45 Lb range.The sea lions Colony was very active with many Lions coming in to check out the Divers at 40 feet.And as always just tons of Tropical fish every where.
For the Fisherman in you they are catching Marlin, Yellow fin Tuna, Dorado and sailfish.

...the 2nd dive operator obviously has a more experienced advertising department. :)

It may be that we are diving at different sites, depths or times as the visibility here can change greatly from hour to hour etc... My thread is not about marketing particularly I am trying to give people an honest appraisal of what I am actually seeing out there day to day and then you can make up your own mind about going. If people are expecting something different when they come here it can ruin the experience so I want to be as open as possible.

Dont get me wrong though I love the diving here and the sea life is amazing but sometimes the water is a bit murky and can get chilly.

Hope this answers your question

Happy Diving!!!

Hello from Cabo,The Cannery is the first Dive as you leave the Cabo Marina it gets a lot of backwash as the Tides go in and out from The Marina also because this site sits so close to the Marina boat Traffic affects the Vis and condtions.
Water temps can change very quick because the Dive sites here sit on top of a submarine caynon that is 6000 feet deep and upwellings bring cooler water up. These upwellings also bring in food that feeds the marine life here.
We have two currents that are always fighting each outher. one from the north and one from the south as we get into summer as we are now the south current will take over and we should start to see warmer water that will also bring better vis.here. This also brings the Tuna and all the Game fish Cabo is well know for.
Good Diving to all
Dee

I think by reading both reports you will get a clearer overall picture of the diving in the area :) Dee it might not be a bad idea for you and I to update a single thread together rather than having two separate ones ?

I think by reading both reports you will get a clearer overall picture of the diving in the area :) Dee it might not be a bad idea for you and I to update a single thread together rather than having two separate ones ?

Hi, guys. I will go to Cabo San Lucas to dive with MANTA, anybody know them. They are the same ones that where rescue from the sea surrounded of sharks after their boat sunk in Gordo Banks?

Yes the Boat that sank was called the Manta and it was owned and operated by Manta Divers of Cabo San Lucas.A rescue helecopter rescued 7 Divers and a Fishing boat From the Solmar fleet rescued four more.The film of the Sharks was from a Divers camara. That flim clip aired on Mexican television.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom