Hammerheads in the Sea of Cortez?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I'm looking to do a last minute trip and I've heard some talk of schooling hammerheads in the Sea of Cortez, but i get the impression it is only in very specific areas.

I was hoping someone familiar with the are could let me know if this is a good time of year and if they had any shops or liveaboards they would recommend.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scalloped Hammerheads school about 2 hrs. off San Carlos (Guaymas) in mid-late October and move south. It's a very specific window - we missed it by a week a couple years ago. About 80' off a submarine canyon south of San Pedro Island and you have to sneak up on them. Most of our LDS's best guess the week and run trips down. I've never heard of them being in the area in summer but I've never asked either.

Some links:

San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Diving
El Mar Diving is my LDS here with a satellite facility there and they have one of the nicer boats IMO.

My sister and I are leaving on a trip to La Paz to dive Sea of Cortez 24 October to 2 November 2011. Staying at La Concha at Cortez Club in La Paz, Mexico.:D

We have sightings of schooling Hammerheads frequently at the moment at Gordo Banks in Los Cabos but they are not there all the time...It is also possible to see off of in La Paz through Oct,Nov,Dec ish
Happy Diving:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom