La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greta-inbaja

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I am looking for any up to date info or opinions on dive ops in la paz, I have not been there for 3-4 yrs. In the past I went with the cantamar (baja dive and service) Big boats, big groups. But the dives are 1-2 hrs out so a bigger boat is more comfortable though usually not what we seek out. Yrs ago we went with cortex club. Both ok, but when the conditions are on the nasty side I think the safety might be marginal. Definetely a fend for yourself situation. We have seen lots of stuff, had a good time, though there have been breakdowns of boats, very large diver/divemaster ratio. But..... we have also seen whalesharks 3x with the cantatmar. Just wondering if anything has changed. We will be there in october.

Hi Greta,
I came here looking for the same info. I will be in CSL Aug 20-27 and plan to drive up to La Paz to do some diving. I have contacted one company, Grupo Fun Baja, but haven't made a reservation yet. Info seems to be hard to find, but I will keep looking. If you learn anything, please post.
Thanks!

Well, I've made the decision to dive with Club Cantemar. I've only booked a single day, 3-tank dive for $119 (providing my own gear); with gear, 3-tanks were $142... and lunch is included (what kind of lunch remains to be seen). It's a long day, boat returns about 4:30pm I am told. I will post an update and photos when I return.

Happy Diving!

Thanks got2dive! We are in baja oct 17 . hopefully in La Paz oct 24 to dive a few days. I will appreciate the update. They are closer to the divesites and have an ultralight plane to find the whalesharks. The lunch is usually fine. They do get lots of Europeans and Asians as he doesn't market in the states much. Some of the sites are far. Las Animas is usually xtra $$ but we thought it was good, El Bajo the hammerhead dive is variable. Deep, never know what the viz is, But... sometimes you see hammerheads, and I saw a huge marlin. I thought the marlin was way cooler. Have fun and please send an update. thanks,
greta

Going out in November (third time) and again using Cortez Club. Boats are good and not crowded. Dive sites are all at least a one hour boat run. Recommend them.

I'd recommend going back to Club Cantamar...have dove both with them there and done their liveaboard to the Socorro's. Good operation which never left me any desire to look elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom