Trip to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My partner and I are headed to Cancun Sept.4th through the 11th. She is newly certified and has not experienced ocean diving. I am a novice diver with only about 20 dives to date. Will she need a wet suit this time of year or just a thin protection type of suit? Also can anyone reccommend any dive outfitters that can show us some good dive sites or do we need to travel to Cozumel. I have heard good things about
Playa del Carmen as well as Isla de Mujeres. I am comfortable in wreck dives, wall dives or reef dives. I want to insure she sees all the wonderful sites down below, but more importantly I want her feeling safe so she enjoys it and wants to do it again soon.
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi..I was just down there a month ago and water temps were in the low 80s, so I didn't even wear a shorty. The best diving in the region is definitely Cozumel, but Isla Mujeres is worth a look...have dove with Squaloadventures several times, including this last trip. Some diving with current but nothing incredibly challenging. You're also at the tail end of whale shark season, which you can easily do from Isla Mujeres (can only snorkle with them, not dive, but you will see lots of them!). Playa del Carmen is a great place to spend a couple of days. Haven't actually dove from there other than to go to dive the cenotes (also worth checking out).

good diving in puerto morelos. the wreck with eagle rays my favorite. dove with wet set divers. playa del carmen tortugas dive sight if you would like to see some turtles. dove with playa scuba many times. must do a cenote at the end of your dive trip. dos ohos and grand are some good dives. good luck.

You should contact Scorpio Divers down there... I have always had good experiences with them!! Enjoy your diving :D

I second Scorpio divers, good DM to diver ratio. Dove with them a couple weeks ago. My gf panicked but because only 5 divers with 2 DM's one DM was able to dive with her until she was more comfortable.

If you're diving in the Cancun area, you owe it to yourself to drop a note to Alvaro at AlwaysDiving.com.

My wife and I have 50+ dives in that area (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel and Tulum). We wouldn't bother with Isla Mujeres again.

Cozumel is the better known destination, but that doesn't mean you need to go there.

The sea life is pretty much the same for the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area and Cozumel. I'd say there is actually more fish diving from the mainland.

The reefs off Cancun are shallow (rarely below 55-60 feet) with little current. There are a couple of wrecks in deeper water (~80 feet) that generally also have a fair bit of current. The reefs tend to be fairly flat with short swim throughs. The Lionfish invasion is in full force, but you're allowed to shoot them if you're so inclined, and have the skills to do so without endangering yourself, other divers, or the reef.

The reefs off Cozumel tend to be deeper (100+ feet is common), with less sea life (not to say they're bare because they certainly are not) but with more complicated reef structures. Long swim throughs, caves, etc are common. There tends to be more current off Cozumel. The Lionfish invasion is also going strong there, but you're not allowed to shoot them in the marine park (roughly, the area from the ferry dock around the south end of the island). You can shoot them otuside the marine park, and it seems that most dive ops are happy to arrange trips to the north for this purpose.

And since you're in the area, you have to consider diving the Cenotes at least once. The guided cavern dives are an experience not to be missed. The biggest caution is that you might find yourself addicted, and spending even more money get cave certified...

Basically, I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of the dives in that area.

Any preferred Dive ops? Are wetsuits required for warmth or just a little protection suit is adequate. Are the Lionfish a hazard? Thanks

Hola from Cancun,
water right now is 79 to 82 degrees fht.
wet suit is always good protection specially for wrecks or coral reef swim through caves.
For her and you there are sites that may be very nice coral reefs or under water museum dives 30ft.
Send a PM or click on the website for more info on personalized diving.
Happy diving

Any preferred Dive ops? Are wetsuits required for warmth or just a little protection suit is adequate. Are the Lionfish a hazard? Thanks

As I said, Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com is our only choice in Cancun

Wetsuits are and always will be a personal choice. It all depends on how you respond to temperature. In May, with water temps in the 82-84F range, I dove Cancun in a dive skin. My wife, on the other hand, wore a 3mm full. In the Cenotes, with temps of about 77F, I wore a 3mm full with hood and booties. She wore a 5mm with hood and booties.

Lionfish are a hazard only if you're foolish enough to touch their spines. It's not like they're going to hide in ambush and attack you. So unless your bouyancy and trim are so badly controlled that you touch things unintentionally, I don't think you need to worry about them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom