Which Dive Center to use in Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denevep

New
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any advise on the best Dive Outfit to use whilst staying at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Dec 2011. The Hotel apparently has it's own Diveshop but not sure if the boat will be full of novices and it would be better to use a local Akumal Center instead. Anyone been recently?
Thanks Pam

Hi Pam,

Welcome to Scubaboard. If you don't like a boat full of novices, avoid The Akumal Dive Shop. On one regular dive, they had two discover students with the group. That's about as novice as you can get. My personal preference for Akumal in the Akumal Dive Center. If your resort is closer to Puerto Adventuras, then Aquanauts is a good choice.

For my time and money, while in Akumal focus on the cenotes rather than ocean dives.

The ocean diving in that areas not great... but the cenotes are amazing, i dived with motmot divers in Tulum recently, and had an amazing time, very proffesional staff, all brand new equipment which i think is important as you dont want lots of bubbles and leaks when in a over head enviroment!! Also they are the only shop that uses DIN valves specially designed for cavern dives. I went to gran cenote, calavera, dos ojos and angelitta, amazing dives!!!1

Just returned from the Grand Sirenis and thought I'd bring back some updates for all.

The Dive Shop (independently operated from the Grand Sirenis) was Aqua-Inn 2 years ago, but is now owned (I hear partly by a Canadian) and operated by Underwater Technical World, Underwater Technical World, Scuba Diving Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Puerto Aventuras, Mexico.
THey still have the 2 boats Aqua-Inn had, and during my entre week there, the 'Experiance' divers were kept seperate from the more experianced divers so neither impacted the others dives. Great to have happen! I hate a boatload of different skillsets and being required to stay at 25 feet, a little self centered, yes. And Underwater Technical World also let us dive for as long as we safely had air for, not a quick 30 minute splash and dash like others I've experianced.

The shop is well run with professionals who care about their clients, and for myself, went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our vacation.

If you’re going to the Grand Sirenis, use Underwater Technical World right on site for all your diving, snorkeling, and Cenote exploration, and be sure to ask for Roberto (he typically runs the day to day operations) to ensure the best experience and customer care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom