PDC Hotel recommendations for two young (and new) divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrancisK7

Contributor
Reaction score
Short version:
My brother just turned 21 this year (today, actually) and I offered him PADI certification courses, which I will take with him, so we can go on a trip in December just us two. Our uncle, who is a veteran diver, suggested either Turk and Caicos or Cozumel. I researched both destinations and felt I could use pointers from real people, so I posted in the Cozumel forum. I received amazing advice and suggestions and upon further exploration, I realized my brother would prefer Playa Del Carmen over Cozumel. I am looking for hotel recommendations there, as well as dives that are suitable for us newbies. I'm currently looking at the El Taj Oceanfront, it has interesting rates for when we want to go in December (12th-19th) for a 2 bedroom condo that fit our budget perfectly.

Here's the thread with all the suggestions if interested: Cozumel

Long version:
While I'd prefer Cozumel and focus on diving, he'd like to get in some night fun and quality beach time as well, which PDC is in a better position to provide. We are flying out of Montreal and could get a direct flight for cheap. I plan on renting a car (from here, with full insurance) for the week as I want to visit Chichen Itza and the other sightseeing spots. We will both get diver insurance from DAN and traveler's insurance either from the Blue Cross or TravelSafe.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the El Taj Oceanfront? The 2 bedroom condo with 2 queens is right within our budget and includes breakfast. Has anyone experienced it? If it suitable for two young adults looking for interesting nightlife?

For dive shops, I was looking at Reef Quest Divers or Mexico Blue Dream because of the rave reviews they get. Always like to get the information from the horse's mouth, though!

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm really glad I found this place!

i have read your poast in the cozumel fourm,you are making the right choice going to pdc, it has better night life, beaches & more things to do..i have been to cozumel & pdc both, cozumel has better diving & is well suited for old guys like me that only care about the diving..do your self a favor & book a resort with ai, it will be much cheaper at the end..try to stay at a resort close to center of town.. the beaches are incredible, they are public, & the girls lay out topless!! there are several dive op's located in that area..i dove with geofish last july, they were great.. i stayed at the occidental grand xcaret, but it is about 3 miles south of town, incredible resort, next to xcaret park,but i don think it would be for you guys..be sure & do a cenote dive..pdc has almost endless number of excursions you can book once you get there..ruins, xcaret park, & on & on...

Okay, well maybe you won't get a good feedback here. Try some of the links I PM'd you. When you think you've found something, come back here and search for it.

Another suggestion for a dive shop would be Tank Ha - located on Calle 10 between Ave 5 and 10. The staff is great - friendly and very helpful, and I've always received excellent service when diving with them over the past 8 years. Although I'm not familiar with El Taj condos specifically, the pictures and their location looks great - within walking distance of just about everything. Playa is lots of fun - plenty of bars & restaraunts, shopping, people-watching and lots of other activities available, with a lot of the nightlife starting late. While I do love the diving in Cozumel, Playa has a lot to offer when you're not diving, and is a more convenient starting point if you are planning to explore the area. Whatever you decide, have a great trip and enjoy the diving !
ps If you haven't already seen the website & forum at www.playainfo.com, you'll find lots of information there about Playa.

Thanks for all the info and links!

Can anyone attest to the price of food in PDC? Mostly dinners?

Anywhere between USD 6 (tacos and a soda in a local taqueria in the 'hood) to over USD 50 for a nice meal in a touristy place with a few drinks. For food only, plan on spending USD 5 (at the cheapest places) to 20 per dinner and per person depending on your appetite and the fanciness/location of the place. Drinks are relatively expensive : USD 1 to 3 for a beer, USD 3 to 8 for a cocktail.

Lunches are much cheaper, especially if you ask for comida corrida. It's a set menu served between noon and 4 available in the local restaurants. Usually includes a soup, tortillas, choice of meat dish, rice and beans, and sometimes even a drink. Costs around USD 5 and will fill you up.
Or try a cantina where you only pay for drinks and the botanas (small portions of food) are free.
Sorry I can't give you specific names and places, I don't know Playa that well.

FWIW, I disagree regarding the comment about avoiding street food. I eat it all the time and never got sick, even though I don't have a "strong" stomach. Just wash your hands before you eat (especially after handling money) and pick places that see a lot of local business. The one thing that's missing in Cozumel compared to Playa is the fruit stands near the ferry : awesome fresh cup up fruit served in plastic cups. Perfect for a snack on the beach. Since you mentionned loving Mexican food, if you eat pork, also look for cochinita pibil (especially on Sundays). Typical dish of the Yucatan.

Side note : tips are expected, especially in the touristy places. Also note that some higher end businesses will add a sales tax (IVA) to your bill (I think it's about 12%, not sure). That goes for dive ops, hotels, rentals, etc. If not specified on the price list, ask about it beforehand.

If you're wanting diveing and night life, go to Cancun. Stay at Temptation (adults only resort) and drop a note to Alvaro at AlwaysDiving.com. Go to Senor Frogs and CocoBongo.

I've been there a few times now and stayed for 5 weeks last year in Playa del Carmen. I would strongly recommend staying in Playa del Carmen and using it as convenient and inexpensive access to the entire Mayan Riviera... its a perfect spot and has IMO the best service and value in Quintana Roo overall. Cozumel is a cheap ferry ride away, Tulum and Xcaret are nearby as are the cenotes, there are more tour operators to choose from, and there's a clean yet low-priced bus from the Cancun Airport.

I recommend you hit Xcaret and Tulum or Akumal for sure, I personally don't recommend Chichen Itza because its a long 3 hour bus ride from Cancun and takes ALL DAY LONG in high heat with little access to food. You must also visit Cozumel for at least a day and dive there if you're scuba divers. We enjoyed the restaurants and bars in Playa along 5th Ave compared to Cozumel, but the island does have its advantages.

If you do not wish to leave your resort and are avid divers you may consider an all-inclusive hotel on Cozumel with beach access for divers, dunk tanks for rinsing gear, and on-site dive centers able to take you on some of the most beautiful drift dives in the world. The only downside is the cruise ship influence on the island: the vendors are aggressive, there's less to choose from, its a bit more expensive than Playa, and you're sort of stuck on the island until morning if the port is closed.

BTW, I believe this is the link jmb wanted to post :
Playa del Carmen, Mexico forum
You might want to post there your questions regarding food, lodging and nightlife. While the Scubaboard Cozumel subforum is very active, info can be scarce for other Mexican destinations as far as non-diving stuff is concerned.
Good luck with your research.

Keeping in mind we will have a car for the stay, how is the Iberostar Tucan Quetzal? Anyone ever stayed there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom