Riu Palace Mexico dive op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cutty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Folks,
We're lucky enough to be going to the Mayan Nov 8th and staying at the Riu Palace Mexico, The hotel's on-site dive op is Scuba Caribe. Anyone have any opinions on using this operator as compared to going into town? (short beach walk compared to pick-up)
They don't offer nitrox but will we have great diving with them?
Any concerns or heads up?
Graham & Leanne

Hola from Cancun Graham and Leanne,
If you wish to have a private service on your dives, shoot me a PM or click on the website below.
we provide divers a choice to dive privately with one of our instructors or guides, we as well provide a choice of different size boats, it all depends on your experience and your preferences.
We may have other divers on board with their own guide and your group even 1 diver, is taken to dive privately with a dive master or instructor.
We do not force any dive packages and together with you can determine what is best for you to dive and only what you want to dive.
HAPPY DIVING

Graham - I've never used Scuba Caribe but from what I've seen I'd use one of the MANY good dive shops in town before I'd get on the SC boat. Granted, it's a better boat than you'll find most shops use and can't beat the convenience. However, they're also more crowded than other shops and generally full of newly minted or newb divers. Not to say there is anything wrong with that but if you're looking for personal service, small groups and being able to dive your own profile (to the extent you can on a drift dive) then search the boards here for recommendations on a different local shop.

We've stayed at Riu's 6-7 times around the Caribbean and I've never been impressed by any of the Scuba Caribe shops I've seen or the people that I've talked to. Just my $.02.

From the Riu Mexico it's a US$5 cab ride to town, many shops will pick you up as well. Have fun!

Hello Graham
The hotel you will stay is very nice and the diveshop is good aswell the only problem you will find is that it will be way to expensive compare with the diveshops in town and also they have too many people on their boats,beginers motstly...I`not saying that they are a bad diveshop but they are a big dive operator...I invite you to visit us in town we are a local dive shop and we offer diferent options,we do playa dives,cozumel and cenotes,we provide nitrox aswell for more info visit our web page Buceo en Playa del Carmen - Phantom Divers or send us an email to info@phantomdivers.com

Hope we can hear from you my friend

Regards from the mexican caribbean

We've stayed at Riu's 6-7 times around the Caribbean and I've never been impressed by any of the Scuba Caribe shops I've seen or the people that I've talked to

I've stayed at The Palace, Tequila, Lupita, and The Palace Riviera Maya (multiple times at several of them). I echo the quote above. If you do end up diving with SC, make sure to save all of your credit card receipts from them. Twice, on separate trips they tried to punk us on charges. Both times I had to have my credit card company reverse the charges.

You'll love the Palace. Very opulent place. Make sure to visit the other Riu's in the area (all within walking distance of each other). Because you are staying at the Palace, you'll have the luxury of using the facilities/eating at any of the other places. Basically, the resorts are right next to each other.

If you use SC, make sure to head directly to the dive shop as soon as you arrive. You'll need to make arrangements with them ASAP (or as fast as you can in "Island time").

I agree with the above as well, we stay just a couple of Hotels down the road @ the Allegro(Playacar), but I go into Town and dive with GeoFish, smaller boats, better service, nitrox and option for Cenotes and yes, $5 cab ride

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom