Going to Tulum/Cozumel for a diving trip Mid Nov. need some advice plz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanluge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone I'm going on a trip to Mexico in Nov. for 2 weeks. I'm really pumped to go diving again! My plan was to stay in Tulum for a few days to check out the ruins and to visit Chichen Itza. The reason I chose Tulum was because I heard it's pretty laid back and it has more of an authentic feel compared to Playa Del Carmen and Cancun.. I also heard there's some decent diving in Tulum, is this true at all?

After that I was going to head to Cozumel for the remainder of my trip. Any advice on some good dive shops in either Tulum or Cozumel?

Hey everyone I'm going on a trip to Mexico in Nov. for 2 weeks. I'm really pumped to go diving again! My plan was to stay in Tulum for a few days to check out the ruins and to visit Chichen Itza. The reason I chose Tulum was because I heard it's pretty laid back and it has more of an authentic feel compared to Playa Del Carmen and Cancun.. I also heard there's some decent diving in Tulum, is this true at all?

After that I was going to head to Cozumel for the remainder of my trip. Any advice on some good dive shops in either Tulum or Cozumel?
Two weeks, great! I have a few suggestions based on my experiences and some discussions.

You may not need Dive Insurance in Canada, but you do in Mexico. I always take Trip Ins when I leave the country as well, mostly for the other medical coverage. For some suggestions I have to another diver about DAN Dive Insurance and several other ideas, let me ask you to read my posts along with others in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/397206-looking-some-tips-newbie-divers-our-honeymoon.html with notes about mosquitoes, maps, protecting your ears, and more. I hope you find it helpful.

Are you looking to rent a car for your mainland exploring? I use Easyway in part because they have great rates with inclusive insurance, and you dearly need local insurance no matter what your credit card tells you - and I think you will like that they do not charge drop charges if you pick up the car at the Cancun airport then leave it in PDC on the way to Coz, where you don't really need a car.

The maps I linked in the other thread are helpful for the big picture, but for actually driving around - I strongly suggest several from cancunmap.com-Your information source with detailed info on exits, Cancun airport, location of gas stations (not nearly as common there), local info and much more. I do not agree with some of her appraisals on some sites, but overall very informative.

You could do Chicken Itza & Tulum ruins in one long day. We did Chichen Itza & Ek Balam ruins in a day as they are very close together, then Coba ruins & Tulum ruins on another day. Another reminder about mosquito repellant here: be sure you carry a can in a backpack with 2 quarts of water on any ruin exploration. You can buy liter bottles, but I take insulated thermoses, buy gallons & ice, chill in a cooler, refill = ice water! :eyebrow: Here is more info on the ruins: Mayan Ruins Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula Mayan Ruins, Mexico

I can't suggest any particular dive shops around Tulum, and on Coz - there are dozens of good ones. I suggest paging thru the forums to look for trip reports. Did you see the Cozumel forum?

Tulum is a great place to dive and is well located for some of the best (IMO) Cenotes in the area!! I highly recommend Easy Chango in Tulum Easy Chango Filling station & Dive Tours. They have always done a great job for me and all there equipment etc is well maintained.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom