Playa Del Carmen vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giantfan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question....

My wife and I are heading down to PDC in Feb. This is only my second time to Mexico with our first trip being last Feb to PDC....(we fell in love with the area)

I got my OW cert while I was down there last Feb and I am planning on getting my AOW cert while down there this time.

I see that Cozumel gets a lot of press for the great diving there, but I don't see anywhere near as much listed for the diving from PDC. Is the diving that much better over in Cozumel? If so can you please tell me why and how? Can you also tell me the "must do" for a newbie diver over in Cozumel?

We didn't have a chance to take the ferry over to Coz last year, but I plan on doing it this year as my wife has a friend that owns a bar over there and they were quite upset with her that she didn't come and visit. While she is sitting at the bar I figured that I would be able to do a little diving. :eyebrow:

Any info would be a big help.

Thank you,

Ted

Hi Ted,

Reef diving is much more interesting and diverse in Cozumel, so for ocean diving people usually prefer the island. Playa del Carmen has most beautiful cenotes though - this is fresh water cavern diving and is an amazing experience. My personal opinion though is if you are looking to get your AOW, better do ocean diving, so come to Cozumel!

Hope that helps in your decision.

Have a nice day!

If your planning on taking the ferry over for a daytrip to cozumel, I believe Aldora Divers will usually hold a boat for customers coming over on the ferry. I haven't dove with them, so I can't comment on that. Weather has been uncooperative both times I have tried to go over. Don't leave coz for the last day :)

Be Careful.... once you dive in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen will be a disapointment.

Be Careful.... once you dive in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen will be a disapointment.

Ok.... that sounds good....but can you tell me what is better about Cozumel? I did do 6 drift dives last year in PDC.... the only name I can remember is the barracuda (I will check my dive log for the names of the other ones when I get home). There was a lot of life on the reefs we did dive in the ocean off of PDC so that is actually why I am asking what is better about Cozumel as they are so close to each other? And what locations off of Cozumel should I be asking to dive given my newbie status?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did also do two cenote dives at Dos Ojos and it was amazing with the water clairity and the rock formations..... I will be doing my peak performance buoyancy dive in a cenote for my AOW cert so I am told by the dive shop.

You're not going to be disappointed with the diving anywhere in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen/Cozumel area. My wife and I have about 50 dives in that area.

The mainland seems to have more sea life (not that it's scarces off Coz.) while Cozumel has more spectacular (but deeper) reef structures. We have always found more big fish (barracuda, sharks, rays) off the mainland.

The cenotes are in a class of their own. No trip to that area is complete without a couple of tanks in the cenotes. :)

I'm doing the opposite of the thread starter. I've been to Coz many times. This time going to try Playa and the cenotes for a week. How does the topside activities and vibe compare ?

I'm doing the opposite of the thread starter. I've been to Coz many times. This time going to try Playa and the cenotes for a week. How does the topside activities and vibe compare ?

I can't comment on the night life in Coz but I can tell you that PDC rocks! 5 ave reminds me of Duval Street in Key West. This is actually the reason that my wife and I decided to give Mexico a shot for our winter vacation. We really love Key west but the last couple of times we went down there it was COLD! We spoke with a friend of ours who is a travel agent and she suggested PDC.... Last year was our first time in Mexico and we are booked for another trip this coming Feb. We stayed at the Royal PDC which is only a couple of blocks off of 5th Ave and really a fantastic AI. There is plenty of shopping and sights to see that keeps the wife busy and happy while I am out fishing or diving.

When are you planning on heading down?

I dove the Cenotes last year and cant wait to go back.... they really are amazing. The reef diving was fantastic as well with lots of life on the reef.

Dirty-Dog.... thanks for the reply, I did see a lot of life on the reefs off of PDC. I love to watch marine life as I am an avid fishermen and I feel it helps me when I am topside with a rod in my hand.

ronscuba.... one more thing. A lot of the reviews posted on the WWW tell of pushy vendors on 5th Ave.... I see your from the City, you will hardly even notice them :wink:

Back
Top Bottom