Dive operators serving Puerto Morelos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife surpised me with a 5 night trip to the "Now Jade Riviera Maya" near Puerto Morelos ... :D

It's our first "all inclusive" vacation and she doens't / can't dive (ear issues), so I probably won't dive every day & I want to make the most of my dving time. The resort offers dive trips, but I can't find any info about who I'd actually be diving with.

Does anyone have any suggestions / reccomendations for dive operations that would possible pickup at the resort (I won't have a car)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just came back from there in Sept. There is NO information until you get there that was really frustrating! I wrote them multiple times to try to get a sense of what they offered, and never received any real information. Most of that is due to the fact that they do not dive from the hotel itself. I had to take a cab to one ($22 UDS each way) and rolled the other day into a swimming with the dolphins experience. I didn't take the cenotes trip as I was only there 3 days and didn't want to spend most of it on the road driving to different experiences. The desk in the hotel was from Amstar. All of the dives they schedule are with other outfits and vary based on what you choose.

I decided to do the "wreck"/reef the first day. It was a small boat. You took a cab to an alley, walked along the beach and found the boat. The Captain and 2 Dive Masters were great!!! I was so relieved (nothing good ever comes from walk down the alley to the beach and don't go onto the other hotel's property! Esp in Mexico!:D). It was a 2 tank dive (what they call their wreck dive). The first dive was the wreck. A boat that was purposely sunk and was in the middle of no where under water (sand all around as far as you could see (visibility was great ~100ft) and the depth was at 90 ft. There was some life and saw some coral, barracuda, lots of rays and some smaller fish. Great dive for my first "real" dive. The second dive of the morning was a reef. No current which was great. Both were led by a Dive instructor/master. Once we got back, had to walk around Now Sapphire to get a cab back to the Jade. Bring lots of water from the hotel. I went to the preferred lounge and got 4-5 bottles of water. They didn't seem to have any on the boat that I could tell. At least I wasn't offered any until I got sick.

The second day, I took the shuttle (that came with the dolphin experience) to the Dreams Cancun. This was a 2 tank reef dive as well. The reef in this part of Cancun had a very strong current. I kept to the Dive Masters side and had 2 wonderful dives. Lots and lots of fish. All 3 reef dives were very shallow. 10-30 ft. Same here for water and food.

I dove alone and as both experiences had a "follow the leader" setup, this wasn't a problem. Was able to hang out the rest of the day with the person I went with.

They offered other experiences south of the hotel as well. Again these were more of a drive but to "Natural Water Parks" These may be good for the both of you. As soon as you get there, go to the Amstar desk and discuss your options and schedule your trips. It is on the left side of the lobby.

There were a few independent dive shops around. The downside to me was the need to take a cab everywhere. Seemed very expensive on top of the dives. These as the gear is included were what I would have expected price wise. There was a sign on the Preferred beach on the rock wall that had a diving flag on it, but never ventured out that way to see what it was. You may want to walk out to the rock wall and see.

Good luck, and I hope you have a great experience.
Katrina

Hello,
A friend and I were in Puerto Morelos in 2009 and used "Dive in Puerto Morelos". The owner Brett was very easy going and we had a good experience. My friend has gone back to them several times and was very satisfied every time. We dove 5 two tank days and one cenote dive. In each case, the dive master was attentive, and the dive choices fit us well. There were usually about 8 people per dive. It's been two years, but I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

I have been to Pto. Morelos 3 times and each time I dove with Wet Set Divers. I actually stumbled upon them during my first trip when the dive op at the Paradisus would not take me to the wreck. Anyway, as I said, I was checking out the town and saw the dive shop on the side of the hotel he works out of and asked about his dives. He said, "do you want to go now?" I just happened to have my gear in the car and said sure, so we loaded up the boat and went diving. Awesome experience and the best personalized customer care I have every received from a dive op. Anyway, I have been back several times, I highly recommend the Cenotes dives with Paul, they are outstanding.

I recently returned from a trip to the Riviera Maya where I stayed at the Secrets Silversands which is 5 minutes from Puerto Morelos by taxi.

My wife was attending a conference so I decided to finally get OW certified and Puerto Morelos was the closest place to the hotel.

I looked on tripadvisor.com and found Aquanauts Dive Adventures was the top rated operator there so i went with them. Man what a great experience! Aquanauts Dive Adventures

It's a small, no frills place so if you are looking for 5 star forget it. However, what they lack in amenities they more than make up for in charm and customer service. Its a small operation just the owner/instructor William and his wife Crescent runs the admin/bookkeeping side. Their 3 1/2 year old son was often running around too playing in the pool or watching cartoons on TV when I wasn't using it for the videos.

By the time I left I felt like I was part of the family =)

They do have a boat operator and one other DM who you may or may not see depending on the number of customers. They have 2 small fiberglass boats one bigger than the other. I was on the smaller one which looked to be about 15-20 feet long (sorry I don't know boats) with covered seating area with maybe 8 tank stations and a wooden dive ladder. Again no frills but more than adequate.

I had the place to myself for 4 days basically and had complete one on one instruction from William who has been a PADI instructor for 10+ years and a commercial and recreational diver for a decade before that. The man is a font of practical and theoretical knowledge and just a fantastic instructor who encourages questions and emphasizes practicing until you feel comfortable. If you want someone to just hurry you through the training and sign off he isn't the guy to go to. But, if you want to learn he is fantastic.

The entire area off Puerto Morelos is a national marine reef park. I did 6 dives total (my 4 OW dives plus 2 additional the next day). The water was calm with mild surge and some current on 2 of the sites but nothing crazy. Visibility was 50-100ft and a ton of fish and healthy coral.

Puerto Morelos and Aquanaut Dive Adventures were amazing and reminded me of just how awesome Mexico is when you get away from the over commercialized tourist centers.

Leaving in less than 48 hours.... Any last minute reccomendations / suggestions????

Jorge and Ben of Scorpio Divers are the best! You will have so much fun with them! My husband and I dove with them June 2010 and we will be going back to Cancun this year for the sole purpose of diving with them again.

We mostly dove off of Puerto Morelos, including an amazing night dive. They will pick you up right from your hotel. You will not be disappointed. Scorpio Divers // Scuba Diving // Diving the way it should be.// Scuba Diving Cancun Puerto Morelos Cozumel Cenotes

Tell them Sharon and Graham sent you. :)

Also dove with "Dive in Puerto Morelos" in Mar./Apr. of 2010. Booked dives for my wife and I from home and payed as requested thru PayPal. When we arrived in Mexico, my wife wound up not feeling well and couldn't dive. Brett made things work out monetarily so I didn't really pay for her. The rates were very reasonable for 2 tank dives....actually cheap and the boat dock is only a block away. The most expensive part of the diving was my taxi ride from the resort I stayed at (Grand Mayan Riviera Maya) about 10-15 minutes away and back.....but taxis are available and usually sit less than a block from the dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom