Help! Want to do a quick and dirty trip down to the Sea of Cortez before mid-December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!
I'm heading to the Maldives and Lakshadweep Islands in December to do some diving, and the company that I'm going with requires that I have at least 2 dives under my belt within the last 12 month. gulp. I haven't been diving since I moved away from Phuket, Thailand 16 months ago, so I need to get my butt in the water ASAP!
I live in Los Angeles and thought that a drive across the border for a weekend in the Sea of Cortez would be the quickest and easiest (and best - I've always wanted to dive the SoC) way to get a couple of dives logged. Unfortunately I can't find any dive centres north of La Paz, which is a 1.5 day drive from here.
Anyone have any ideas or recos to help an AOW get wet in a hurry and on the cheap?!
Thanks all!

San Carlos! Just north of guaymas has some great diving. I've only gone down on trips put together by my Lds. They usually use el mar boats and the posada condominiums for lodging. Great service and safe boats and the condos are great. I know they have a few trips coming up soon.

You could actually fly into guaymas from LA

San Carlos will be cold now. So there may be less trips scheduled by both the local operators and also by the Phoenix/Tucson diveshops which are most of their business. I flew USAirways Express to Guaymas once - from Phoenix but you could easily connect from LAX - the plane is big enough to not have checked luggage restrictions. A cab from Guaymas to San Carlos was $20 one-way. We stay at Marina Terra - it's pretty nice and there's a couple restaurants within walking distance nearby. Most (all?) of the dive operators moor their boats in the marina behind the hotel, I walk over with my gear. Hotel Marinaterra - At the San Carlos Desert Bay Friends have stayed at the Best Western Tetawaki, they said it was decent. It's in town so would be a short ride to the marina. I second the recommendation for El Mar, they're my LDS and good people.

This link may help:
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Diving

Thanks diversteve!
I searched for airfare to Guayamas and it's coming in at almost $1,000!
I can get a direct flight from LAX for under $450, so I think I'll do that.
I'm looking at staying at the Cabo Inn Hotel.
And doing 3 dives with Deep Blue.
Will let you know if it all comes together!

2 and a half weeks ago, the water was still 80+degrees with 70-80 ft vis at San Pedro island and no less than 40 ft at the closer sites. The water has probably dropped since then, but you'd still be looking at mid to high 70s. I know my Lds has a trip next wkend.

Hey guys, wanted to post an update since you've both been so kind...
Went to Hollywoodivers today to inquire about servicing my equipment and getting out for those two dives I need (in a 7mm of course) and decided to do the PADI Dry Suit training here in LA/Catalina.
Made more sense to just bite the bullet and do the course

Beaner1-you can't go wrong with Hollywood Divers. They are good people who kno their stuff. Their trips out to Catalina runs like a well oiled clock because they do it so often. Whose doing ur class, Nickie or Robert?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom