In PDC for 3 days and Cancun for 3 days, one day is free for me, rest with my gf who

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shri

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
can do resort dive (not certified) or snorkelling.

I am PADI certified but been 3+ years since my last dive. I have a couple of questions

1. For my free day, this will be while I am staying in PDC, any recommendations for whether I should try a cenote dive, or ferry to Cozumel or go with an operator from PDC to Cozumel (I believe there are 1-2 operators Geofish/others who go from PDC to Cozumel).

2. For other days would like to do at least 1 day of diving with my gf and want to know of recommendations (can do PDC, Cancun, Cozumel or Isla Mujeres).

3. For cenote diving, can I do it (not deep diving certified) and can my gf (assume not)

Likely will only have 2 days of diving so have to prioritize carefully. Of course can go swimming in cenotes

Thx

Shri

Your GF cannot dive in the Cenotes. You must be OW certified. I don't thinkI'd recommend it to you, either, if your profile is accurate. Less than 25 dives and 3 years without a dive?
I'd suggest this: Get your GF in an OW class while you're down there. She can do the classroom stuff online, if that sort of learning works for her.
Drop a note to Alvaro at AlwaysDiving.com and he can do the OW portion. While she's doing her pool and OW sessions, you get in too and follow along for a refresher. Then you can both do some fabulous OW reef dives. There are many excellent sites off both PDC and Cancun, and Alvaro knows them all

I was planning on doing some snorkelling near PDC (think Yal Ku was one of the good spots) and some cenote swimming. as well.

We will be leaving for Mexico this Friday in Mexico City for two days and then to PDC.

So think no chance for her to do online (unless its only a few hours), so only a resort dive/snorkelling for her. Am I missing something.

I should take a refresher course and then think can dive on my own and was hoping to do it in Cozumel (since think thats the best). Likely can go to Cozumel Monday morning do refresher and maybe a dive in afternoon if dive operators do afternoon dives only.

S

Skip Yal Ku. You will have a better time snorkeling Akumal Bay (go through the Arch and start looking to your right). The Akumal Dive Shop has lockers you can rent for the day and any rental gear you need. There are a couple of "resident" turtles that hang close to the northern end of the bay.

You can snorkel the cenotes. Close to Akumal is Dos Ojos. Grand Cenote is about 20 minutes further south close to Tulum. Check out, Cenote Diving, Snorkeling, Activities - Things to do in Cancun - Hidden Worlds Adventure Park There are other operators at Dos Ojos who are less expensive.

As out of training as you are, a refresher course would be good, followed by hiring a private DM for your first boat dive. It doesn't much matter where as it'll all be about the same to you now really.

Don't push your GF into diving. If she wants to try it, she can explore it more, make informed decisions, train at home, and be ready for the next trip.

Snorkeling some cenotes would be ok.

Thanks, looks like then my 1 free day will do a refresher in the morning and if possible a 2nd dive in the afternoon. Since I will be staying at PDC will do it there. Have heard Playa Scuba Center and Dive Mexico as good ones in PDC, any reco's on that.

My gf has tried diving, this year on a trip to Thailand she took a resort dive course and liked it

Shriram

Back
Top Bottom