A good place in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pheel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

A friend of mine is planning a trip to Mexico (East coast) in january and asked me for a good place to get certified (OW).

I never been to Mexico and I was wondering if someone could give me (her) some advices?

Thanks

pheel

Cozumel is one of the premier dive destinations in the world... There are a ton of very good ops on the island. If you're interested, pop over to the Cozumel forum and ask around, I'm sure you will get at least 15 recommendations :)

If you are looking for nature & quiet beaches Mahahual is a small fisherman town 360 km south of Cancun...new destination, excelent diving just in front of the coast.
The famous Chinchorro bank is at 35 km off shore, daytours for divers as well as snorkeling are organized..
For more info on the area south of town Mahahual South beach Rio Bermejo Costa Maya

A very good option could it be Cancun, you can have the best of the nightlife and great options for
daylight activities and adventures, we do have, for people that want to get certified, dive sites with an incredible amount of sea life, considering that the maximum deep of the reefs is 55 feet deep, it´s a very good an safe way to take a certification course, then, whenever you get certified, you can go to dive in Cozumel, wich is fantastic for certified divers.
I believe in making friends not costumers.
Best regards.

Alvaro Gonzalez
PADI OWSI 169884
CMAS P3-MEX-2891

+1 for Alvaro from AlwaysDiving. We did a resort course with him, which led to OW, then AOW, and I'm doing Rescue with him while we're on Cozumel (1 week!!!). He's an excellent instructor and a great guy.
The diving off Cancun is way under rated. The reefs are healthy, the sealife is abundant, and honestly I have to say it always seems to me that we see more of the big guys (sharks, big rays, barracuda) off Cancun than off Cozumel. There's generally little or no current to deal with either.
And while you're in Cancun, plan an evening at CocoBongo. You'll love it. You won't get back till 2AM, so plan afternoon dives the next day. :D

Well if your going to Cancun keep in mind that there will be Big Waves and lots of wind as is normal for the Atlantic that time of year. Why dont you go to Cabo San Lucas all the local sites have good protection from wind and its a lot calmer all Winter.
With Dive sites starting in 15 feet its easy to get a new Diver started plus theres lots to see on the shallow walls so it wont be boring.
Its only a five minute boat ride to most of the sites so new Divers have an easy time on ther first Dive.
Good Diving to all
Dee

Cabo is great diving, however with the change of the seasons the visibility starts to drop with the water temps. October, November and December best time to dive. I am here right now and did my first dive of the trip with Nautilus Tech Dive. Great operation. They have there own training pool and the facility rivals those upper end ones in the states. Vis today was 30-60 water was 76. Lots of critters and marine life to see. If you are expecting very clear water not the place to come to. But, and this is a big but, if you want to see a lot of marine life large and small, and I mean a lot, this is the place to try. I have been diving since 74 and logged over 675 dives so I have been around the block a time or two. Good luck wherever you go.

Hello from Cabo. The Winter in Cancun and all of the Atlantic coast is pretty rough Big Waves, Wind,
and currents.
Winters in Cabo are mild sometimes we have wind but almost never have conditions that stop the Dive Trips.

Theres lots of Tropical Marine life over 800 Species so there is a lot to see while doing your Cert. Dives.
Good luck and welcome to the world of Scuba Diving.
Dee

Cozumel is the dive capital of Mexico. Tons of world class dive ops. It's possible to lose a dive day or two in Cozumel in Winter, but it's the exception, not the rule. I'm kind of surprised to hear anyone associated Cabo and great diving, the adjectives I always read associated with Cabo diving is "sucks".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom