Beach erosion in Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was planning on going to Playa Del Carmen in the spring, but I just found this picture on one of the Playa.info forum showing serious beach erosion. The picture is recent and the discussion talks about erosion being a long time problem that keeps coming back no matter what they try to do.

381591_2470934006622_1050514379_32170764_974575428_n.jpg

I'm heading down in Feburary.... Seems like this is a never ending issue down there. Last year there were lots of sandbags along the beach in an attempt to keep the erosion to a minimum. I'm guessing that the hurricane that blew thru there a few weeks ago had a lot to do with this condition.

My choice of Playa Del Carmen is a combination of never been there, Cenotes and the beaches. If the beach will look like this, I am considering choosing someplace else and leave the Cenotes for a long weekend or side trip from Coz.

The Mexican Riviera was all man made don't forget. Mexico is pretty good about putting beaches back, they've been doing it forever, just look up any hurricane in Cancun, they basically just rebuild the beaches how they want them. I would just check back over time and see how the progress goes, most likely by the time you get there you won't be able to tell anything ever happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom