Playa Del Carmen 12/3 - 12/10 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwetter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1st leg of this Journey started in Cozumel and can be read there.....

12/3 - transfer via Ferry to Allegro/Playacar - my wife and I love this area and would move in a heartbeat - the Hotel grounds are nice but comparing the 2 Allegro's Cozumel to Playacar - food and beds were nicer in Cozumel / Grounds and Pizza are better in Playacar .. but the surrounding area is what us draws us back each time and I have no problem with my wife walking around both in Playacar and in PDC by herself with out fear for her safety, being bothered by pesky salespeople however is another issue :)
12/4 - in my multiple trips to this area had never dove Dos Ojos Cenote - so my friend and Dive Master - Thomas - took my non-diving wife and I for the first Cenote of the week. On the way there is a little taco stand that I have always stopped at for my morning breakfast and brag to my wife, so Thomas and I made sure to stop and let my wife enjoy the Tacos as well..on to Dos Ojos - I can see why this is a major stopping point and 1st time spot for many Cenote Divers - the formations were wonderful and my wife enjoyed the snorkling and laying in the hammocks while Thomas and I dove the Cenotes 2 different lines. If a person was wanting to do a Cenote for the 1st time and they went here i can see how they could get hooked, me - I've been hooked for many years just hadn't dove this location
12/5 - Today besides getting my yummy tacos, Thomas took me to Chicken-Ha. Chicken-Ha does not have has many formations/decoration but what it does have is alot of light play on the rocks and a wonderful Halocline room along with a Siamese Dog formation that is just amazing as you wonder how it was able to be formed. Quick note - Cenotes are in the Jungle and I was able to get a 1st hand reminder..There is a map under the palapa that shows the system, as were going over our dive plan and viewing the map we had a 10' snake slither between our legs, as we stood very still until it passed, as we watched it continue down the path the owners were working nearby we warned about the snake and they killed it and claimed for dinner - we found out it was of the poisonous variety - I think they called it - 4 Noses
12/6 - Today was an exciting and not ashamed to say a little nervous - I have spent 10 years in the Marine Corps and many years diving but nothing prepared me for today... Thomas and I had originally scheduled a normal boat dive to the Bull Sharks but as we were making our way out to the site we found out it was only going to be the 2 of us actually diving, the others were bailing and going to a different location. So we dropped in and it only took what seemed like seconds as we lay in the sand at 85' for the sharks to come. First 1 then 2, getting closer and closer, then they were gone - so we moved along the sand over a ridge and then settled back in and again, first 1 then 2 but then we had 6 8'-10' Bull sharks very close (2-4')- AMAZING - after a bit they too, were gone and its good as it was time to ascend... as we got to 45' we could look down and see below us many female Bull sharks that had given birth and were swimming with their babies ..just keeps getting better .. this was a very exhilirating and thrilling dive and am now able to cross this off my "Bucket" list, wouldn't have missed this
12/7 - Today I was warned that we would definitly be off the beaten path, so I loaded up on the Tacos and away we went to "DreamGate", the entrance is hardly noticiable along the highway, in fact we drove by it once. The raod/trail is very narrow and very rocky - took about 35minutes via 4x4 to get to the Cenote, but worth the drive - you lower gear down via a pully system and climb down a metal ladder to a wood framed platform, gear up and head out on the 1st line, the formations and decorations were so vast and interesting that my flashlight couldn't keep up as we seemed to just float by, upon finishing the 1st tank i didn't think anything could top until we went in on the 2nd line, again formations/decorations but the "blind" fish and popping up into a "room" with only a small air hole/vent in the top - OUTSTANDING- I was glad this dive had been saved for last at it left a lasting imprint until the next time we are back. This Cenote in paticular is not for those that are not comfortable with good/excellant bouyancy as the bottom is silt and the top is full of stalagtites and are fragile(average depth 12-15') also as this was one of the "darker" Cenotes and a little more "physical" to get down to the water.
12/8 and 12/9 - as my wife is a non-diver, I spend time with her off the beaten paths exploring, as some day we may retire to this area and want to make sure we are comfortable with day to day living
12/10 - fly out

I hope this has peaked your intrest in Cenotes but please realize that they are fragile so be very comfortable with your bouyancy and semi to dark places.
Please PM me if you would like a Freelance DM recomendation.

Imagine a counter that would show ?????? until the next trip to Mexico but as we average 2 a year I know it will be soon :)

Glad you had a wonderful time!

Just a nit-picky technical question . . . Is your friend Thomas really just a DM? Because, according to the (admittedly voluntary) rules of the cenote tours, guides are supposed to be at least open water instructors, and Full Cave certified.

Yes, my friend Thomas is Full Cave and Open Water Certified Instructor - I apologize for not clarifing, I usually just refer to him as - Hefe' - :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom