Recomendations for dive shop in Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My boyfriend and I will be there for a week and plan on doing a little diving. Our last 3 trips have been to Cozumel and I wanted to go to try something different.
I am not bringing gear so I would like a place that has decent rental gear and responsible DMs.
Is the reef diving any good? I know the main attraction is the cenotes but it would be fun to do some of each.

Take your own snorkel gear, suits and computer at least - but then that really just leaves BC & Reg. Why do you not want to take your own kit?

I can't help with Dive Ops. Need suggestions on maps and rental cars?

I like to use Easy Chango Easy Chango Filling station & Dive Tours when im in Tulum they have always been very helpful in providing everything ive needed.

Happy diving!!

Don, i will bring my computer for sure. My gear is sort of messed right now.I have a BP and wings that I should sell. Am not going to travel with that. Got it for the Atlantic. My drysuit might as well get ebayed too :(
my old BCD is servicable, i suppose, but not so great and nearly ten years old.
What would you do for a rental car and maps? Thanks for asking!
my BF has only a few dives under his belt, so the op suggested on the CZM board is too technical and requires 100 dives for a cenote. I dont have years for him to get to 100 dives, he is 58 for goodness sake!
i just want to do a simple dive and putter around.
For what it is worth, we were in CZM last year 2 or three times and did a little diving each time. On frans first ow dive the DMs had a wall dive planned until i told them in Spanish (so as not get bring down the spirits of everyone on the boat) that this was his first boat diveThey then announced to all that we were doing Cedral. Well, on the dive, the DM get turning around and smiling and giving fran the ok sign. His trim and boyancy were better than half of the group.
I am not too worried about a trip with a defined bottom. Here in NY we do OW cert dives in a quarry that requires a 5/7 and has less than 20 ft viz. I was a DM candidate at the time and worked on a lot of these.
I am really excited about going to Tulum!
Will check out Chango!

Contact Natalie & Dennis at Diablo Divers. Nat (nat@diablodivers.com) is a phenomenal guide & instructor, knows the area VERY well, and can hook you up with whatever gear you will need.

PS: Just want to add that not all cenotes are advanced technical dives. There are some cenotes that are easy, shallow, simple for OW divers (imagine an OW lake but underground rather than caves) ...just ask Nat, she'll have a perfect place in mind to take you.

Last edited:
I agree with Don about Easy Way. We've had good luck and good prices from them.

I'm sorry if it is Cave Heaven that requires 100 dives to do a cavern tour. I did not know that, but I'll put the information on file.

Natalie Gibb, as mentioned, is a wonderful cenote tour guide. I can't tell you anything about reef diving, having done a grand total of ONE ocean dive in all our trips down there.

Thanks !
Glad to have had you second the rental car The prices seem to good to be true! This is my first time driving in Mexico so it is a bit daunting. I love to take cabs in Cozumel, unlike most people. From a NYC standpoint they are cheap easy and always there.
We have done the Cancun to PDC run several times in the last two years both in collectivos and on the ADO, so it is a matter of staying on the same road until we hit Tulum. Jungle to one side ocean to the other...
I sent Natalie and email. She sounds wonderful.
Is there anything to see on the reefs? If nothing else I think it would be good practice for my dive buddy. His only dives have been drift dives. Plus we have a week and it is a short 15 minute ride out.
What type of wetsuit does one use in the cenote? I have some hoods...

...a matter of staying on the same road until we hit Tulum. Jungle to one side ocean to the other...
Yeah, except for when you have jungle on both sides. BYO compass as the cars don't have them. Compasses, Brass Compasses | Meritline.com

Well there i have found another use for my dive compass. Or i can go mayan and use the position of the sun! I am strangely addicted to the compass that my car has come to think if it. Hate nav systems. My kids think that they r great and they either get lost or are seeking the elusive signal!
i did get the cando maps. I have the cozumel collection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom