Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Nitrox in Cozumel

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Nitrox in Cozumel

We're going to Cozumel and expect to dive 2x per day for 6 or 7 days. Maybe throw in a night dive or a shore dive too. Lots of surface intervals and no heavy multi-dive days. We have 50 dives each and in our last trip we found we neared our NDL well before we ran out of air. So our DM suiggested we try Nitrox. We've done the (simple) on-line course. So, I understand that we might feel better (which is unproven) and at moderate depth we can increase our NDL. But a lot of the dives in Cozumel seem to be in the 80-100 foot range. Isn't that nearing a problem with Nitrox?

Do experienced divers always use Nitrox when available? When do you prefer it or prefer to avoid it? What say ye all?

Thanks
    beaverdivers likes this.

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Nitrox will give you more bottom time for dives in the 60-100 fsw range.

However, given your "light" dive schedule, using regular air should be sufficient. You'll have ample time to off-gas from day to day.

If you aren't convinced, by all means, dive nitrox. It's your vacation.

In general, I like to use nitrox when I'm on a multi-day repetitive (3 or more dives per day) dive trip. FWIW, even if I'm using nitrox, I try to schedule a non-diving day in the middle of a dive-heavy trip to allow my body to off-gas and recover.

Using nitrox on a Bonaire trip is a no-brainer. For most of the unlimited shore diving packages on the island, there is no additional charge for using 32% nitrox.

I wouldn't hesitate to pay for nitrox on a week-long liveaboard trip. Money well spent, in my opinion.

For the local diving that I do (typically single night dives with max depths ranging from 60-80 fsw), I don't bother using nitrox. Depending on the multilevel depth profile our group chooses, I can usually manage a 100-minute dive with my HP100 tank. That's more than enough bottom time for me.
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Selling SCUBA!

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3798 View Post
    But a lot of the dives in Cozumel seem to be in the 80-100 foot range. Isn't that nearing a problem with Nitrox?
    It depends on your Nitrox mix? If you are diving 32%, then your Max Operating Depth ( MOD ) is 130' at a PPO2 of 1.6, Max. Depth Limit. You have a 30' buffer.

Do experienced divers always use Nitrox when available?
    Yes, smart ones do.
    When do you prefer it or prefer to avoid it? What say ye all?

Thanks
    I always dive Nitrox, just different mixes depending on what I want my MOD to be.

Realize Air is a 21% mix of Nitrox.
    airstream likes this.
    Dive Computer Sale!

Your On-line Scubapro Platinum Dealer
    www.beaverdivers.com

MSDT

Just waiting for the next trip

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    When I dive in Cozumel, I use nitrox quite a bit, and I have found the attitude toward it is beginning to change there. When I say "beginning," I have to admit that I have not been there in two years, so it may be even more different.

The first time I asked for nitrox on a dive (EANx 32), which was many years ago, the DM would not let me use it on the first dive, saying it was too dangerous. He said it could only be used on the shallow second dive. That was absurd. He assumed I might not hold my buoyancy properly on an 80-100 foot dive and might instead plummet to 130 plus and stay there long enough (which is considerable) to have a problem. A number of Cozumel operators used to have that attitude--nitrox only on the second, shallow dives.

Since then, on all my trips I have used nitrox quite a bit. (I switched to a different operator with a different attitude.) In all my diving wherever I go, I use nitrox on all dives between 70-130 feet whenever I can.

That is because, in part, I know that my breathing gas will last longer than my NDL. If you are going to run out of air before you reach your NDL, then there is really no point to the nitrox. Otherwise, the typical 80-100 feet depth of a typical Cozumel first dive is ideal for nitrox.
    John Adsit
    Boulder, Colorado
    My Education Articles

Selling SCUBA!

Dives
    5,000 - ∞

>Workload means more Nitrogen

Quote Originally Posted by boulderjohn View Post

That is because, in part, I know that my breathing gas will last longer than my NDL. If you are going to run out of air before you reach your NDL, then there is really no point to the nitrox. Otherwise, the typical 80-100 feet depth of a typical Cozumel first dive is ideal for nitrox.
    Yes, it is even MORE important that you use Nitrox because the diver that is using his gas faster probably has increased workload, therefore increased nitrogen load.

The only way to keep track of increased workload is to use an Air-Integrated dive computer!
    Woodiver likes this.
    Dive Computer Sale!

www.beaverdivers.com

MSDT

Just waiting for the next trip

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverdivers View Post
    Yes, it is even MORE important that you use Nitrox because the diver that is using his gas faster probably has increased workload, therefore increased nitrogen load.

The only way to keep track of increased workload is to use an Air-Integrated dive computer!
    What's interesting is that you said that in another thread and I asked for more information. You chose not to reply.

Could you please explain your point, because most people do not believe this is true.
    John Adsit
    Boulder, Colorado
    My Education Articles

Registered

is the rain man

Newly Transplanted in Ft Myers From The Seattle Area
    Dives
    500 - 999
    If we're on a liveaboard that offers nitrox, it's a no brainer to opt for nitrox. With day operators, you need to decide what works best for you. The profiles in Cozumel can push you into deco on a two tank day which isn't a big thing, it really depends on the sites, the number of dives per dive and your SI's. We have done northern sites which can be square profiles where nitrox is a real benefit and can double your bottom time. In Cozumel we normally opt for air on the first dive and 36% on the second dive, I'd rather be safe than risk getting bent. We know too many people have been bent even though they did everything correct.
    beaverdivers likes this.

Selling SCUBA!

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderjohn View Post
    What's interesting is that you said that in another thread and I asked for more information. You chose not to reply.

Could you please explain your point, because most people do not believe this is true.
    It is simple > workload means >Nitrogen. Do you believe it is true?
    Dive Computer Sale!

www.beaverdivers.com

DIR Practitioner

Needs to be wet soon!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Two dives a day maybe three over a week you can be sure I'm using Nitrox.
    "Forget all the labels and pile of cards one might have. Get in the water and it becomes clear who put the time in and who did not. Let's dive." (JC) James Clark

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverdivers View Post
    It is simple > workload means >Nitrogen. Do you believe it is true?

@beaverdivers: Are you an instructor?
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast