Is Diving in Baja Sea of Cortex or the Revillagigedos Isles worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seahorsevt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I are trying to decide on our next trip. Mexico is really accessible and less expensive, but is it worth it?
Revillagigedos Isles are compared to the
Galapagos - is this an exaggeration? We would like to go in early March, so timing is also a consideration. Would love to see whales, whale sharks, mantas etc.
We have done some great diving (Little Cayman, Bonaire, Belize) and some not so great diving (Florida). We a
re saving $ to go to South Pacific next year and are looking for reassurance this would be a worthwhile trip in the meantime. Lots of mixed reviews..

Thanks!

Fantastic video! Thanks.
Has anyone been on the Baja Aggressor? Good operation? What about the Sea of Cortex - is there a lot to see there in March? I understand conditions can be a little rough, but is there guaranteed whale action?

There are five boats currently diving the Socorro Islands. Solmar V (longest running) Nautilus Explorer, Rocio del Mar (Captain was head divemaster on Solmar) the Agressor (newest boat) I think it just started diving there this year and one othe whose name I don't remember-now do Sea Escape. Offhand I would give the Agressor a year or so to get established before using them. I have never been out in March. I think that is around the peak humpback action though the water can be cool. Honestly in the various trips we have done I only remember one that had bad weather. Most crossings have been pleasant. Of course we normally go in Nov when the season opens up As to guaranteed whale action. Yes if you go in Jan-March but seeing them while diving is hit or miss. You will hear them and see them from the surface. One overlooked plus of this area are the dolphins. For some reason the various pods have become "friendly" to the divers on SCUBA and often come in and interact. That is way cool.

Last edited:
The Socorro Islands are magical!!! If you are up to it, we have 4 spaces available on our next trip that leaves from San Jose del Cabo. Jan. 31- Feb 8, 2012. The humpback whales have been breaching all day today!!!!
Call us @ 602-689-0764 for more information, we would love to have you two onboard Rocio del Mar!!

There is really nothing like it anywhere on earth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom