Diving in Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I will be vacationing in Playa Del Carmen Jan 23-29 and would like to do some diving in both Cozumel and Playa. Can anyone please provide recommendations for dive operations in either of these places?

I am an intermediate diver but I haven't dove in 2 years. I took a PADI refresher course last week and can't wait to get back under water. I did a couple drift dives in Cozumel 3 years ago and thought it was fantastic. I have about 60 over the past 5 years. I am not looking for anything too advanced, although half my dives are in the frigid freshwater lakes in Canada where 20 feet of visibility is considered great so 'advanced' is all relative. If I could get in 2 x 2 tank dives and a night dive, that would be ideal.

Let me know what you recommend!

Thanks

Daner....where will you be staying (resort) ??? Playa Del Carmen or Cozumel(?)

If you don't mind catching a cab into town, I always use Abyss for Playa Del Carmen diving (Playa del Carmen Diving with The Abyss Dive Center). Run by a Canadian expat (from BC), and they have always taken very good care of me. I'll just miss you, I'll be diving with them on the 30 and 31 before I head to cozumel. For Cozumel, you may need to catch the ferry over. I know Aldora divers will hold boat so you don't need to catch a stupidly early ferry over (Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel). I don't recommend leaving cozumel until your last dive day. I have done that twice and had the harbour in coz closed due to weather both times (just unlucky on my part).

Looks like you're 5 miles or so north of Playa. I've heard from some people staying at AI's that they charge taxi's to come on to the property in an effort to keep guests on site. Hope this isn't one of those! Like Mark said, a $5-10 cab ride will get you in to town. There are many shops I'm sure that will get recommended. I dove with Tank Ha the last time we were there in November, my choice was primarily based on the fact they have a boat that goes directly to Cozumel (no ferry) so you don't have to ferry over, hook up with the dive Op, dive, get dropped back off at the ferry pier, etc. It shaved a couple hours off a 2 tank dive day in Coz which was the deciding factor for me. Otherwise pretty typical diving, back roll entry, drift diving, ladder back up into the boat. Their Playa boat was bigger than a six pack, their Coz boat is bigger even than their local boat.

I got back yesterday after spending two weeks in Riveria Maya. I was staying south of Playa del Carmen and took the Colectivo every day to go diving. The Colectivo cost me $3.00 each way ($6.00) per day. It took only 10 minutes longer than the taxi and was a lot cheaper.

I did all my diving with GeoFish Dive and was very happy the service. They can arrange a direct boat ride to Cozumel as well to avoid the ferry.

I'll be there next month, and have done a little research: Dive Mike (divemike | divexplorers) was highly recommended by a local instructor and I'll probably give them a try for a day or two.
Anita at Scuba Playa (About Us | Scuba Playa | Playa Del Carmen, México) has been wonderful about answering questions and providing local information, and I'll definitely be using them for a few days; customer service is what it's all about, and if a shop doesn't have the time to answer my questions, I don't have the need to spend my $$ there.
Tank-Ha (Scuba diving playa del Carmen and Cozumel, Playa del carmen to cozumel, Cave diving, PADI, SSI) seems to be pretty well thought of, and they are the only PdC shop to have a boat licensed to go directly from PdC to the Cozumel maritime park - saves you time and money vs. a ferry boat ride.
But, as with anything these days, someone has had good and bad experiences with almost all of the shops; my "theory" is to go with the ones that seem to provide the best service for your money, which is not always the cheapest!
Have fun and give us some feedback!

KevinL

And +1 on the Colectivo; I was told the resort I'll be at has a shuttle that runs about every hour (50 pesos), but the public bus runs outside the resort about every 20 minutes (20 or 30 pesos).
I planned on renting a car; I don't want to be stuck eating at just the resort, and I'm sure my wife will want to go to the ruins, etc.

KL

We were in Playa in Nov at the Royal. I Dove 2 days with Phantom Divers about 1 block from The Royal. Chino the owner and my dive master Eric was great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your insight.

I have taken the Colectivo when I was in Riviera Maya a few years ago and I thought it was great. I take the names you all have provided and go talk to them on the first day I am there and see which best suits the diving I want to do and gives me the best feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom