what's up in Puerta Vallarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johan Broere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone tell me what's happening in PV. I am thinking to relocate to PV. This long weekend there were 3 divers in the whole town of San Carlos. I would like to get an idea how the hotels are doing. Are they deserted also or are they surviving? Flights to PV seem to be very reasonable. Any info is appreciated, thanks, Johan.

Good question, what IS up in Puerto Vallarta? We're going there for a week in mid-Feb, not sure where I should dive, hoping to find something not as crowded as my dive in Cozumel last year. Do either of you have a favorite dive site?

According to my friend down there, the most active shop appears to be Chicos. She actually went to a new dive shop just around the corner from Chicos called PV Sea Dive (PV Sea Dive. Scuba diving, padi certifications and divemaster internships) for their grand opening and she said she was really impressed and will be doing her dives through them next time. Los Arcos is the most frequented dive site and is pretty easy. I went there a while back and saw all kinds of life even though it's a popular site close to town. When I was there, diving was nowhere near as crowded as Cozumel, but visibility isn't quite as good either.

I'll be more than happy to have my "reporter on the ground" do any other question answering anybody may have :)

Good question, what IS up in Puerto Vallarta? We're going there for a week in mid-Feb, not sure where I should dive, hoping to find something not as crowded as my dive in Cozumel last year. Do either of you have a favorite dive site?

If you are looking to avoid crowds, I am not sure you want to dive with Chico's Dive Shop. I have never dove with them, but that is because I try to avoid large cattle boats. If they have a smaller boat, I have not seen it - but doesn't mean it doesn't exist. On the flip side, if you don't mind large groups, the boats are bigger providing more room to gear up and possibly amenities such as restrooms. From what I recall Chico's is located downtown, which is convenient if that is where you are staying.

Vallarta Under Sea and PV Scuba are both PADI shops located in the Marina Vallarta area. This is the area in which I normally stay, so these shops are more convenient for me. I have dove with Vallarta Under Sea a number of times and have enjoyed myself. The boats are much smaller, usually carrying 6 divers, though I do know they have one boat that can take approx 10 divers. The divemasters have been good and always make an effort to find some interesting animals.

The main dive sites are Los Arcos, Islas Marietas and Majahuitas. Most sites are 30-45 minutes out. Los Arcos is the busiest site and I prefer to avoid it when I can. The other sites are generally good but conditions will vary depending on season and recent weather. Especially around Los Arcos and Majahuitas you will typically see pufferfish, morays, and stingrays, and around the beach in Majahuitas there usually a school of King Angelfish.

I did 8 dives 3/17/12-3/20/12, aboard the Eco Explorer & Marla, typically with Dive Master Hector Carreol & Captain Emilio Orona; dive master Chamely was there on a couple of days with students, she is also who I corresponded via email, when asking about there boat, ladder, water entry/exit procedures, equipment & luggage storage, she was patient, thorough & diligent. Everyone was professional & fun, the time of year perhaps was not the best time to dive, but I always say a day diving is better than a day working. I had to be there anyway for my work, so a-diving I went. Took my 5 mil suit, but would have been fine in my 3 mil, water temps were 73*F+.

1st day we dove Isle Marietta’s, they told me I was going to see "Boobies" I got excited, but they were talking about the feathered kind, LOL; However we saw humpback whales on the trip out to the site, viz was 30-50 ft with particles in the water, the volcanic tunnel swim through was cool, baby Stingrays, Puffer Fish & Nudibranchs were everywhere.

2nd day we dove Los Arcos, where a part of Popeye the Sailor was filmed, with Robin Williams. Viz was 7-20 ft, pretty crappy, but still saw a tiger eel, nudibranchs, octopus, a Basket Starfish & more.

3rd day Mahahuirtas, nudibranchs, eels, basket starfish, stingrays, etc viz still wasn't great 15-25 ft. We saw a Sea Turtle on the trip back to the port.

4th day Ilse Marietta’s, viz was better, but waves were rougher. Sting Rays, puffers, lobster, eels, etc. Saw Humpback whales on return trip to port.

I would highly recommend this shop; they were professional, fun, informative & accommodating. Also very conveniently located in the Marina, I was able to walk over there from the Casa Marriott, since they stored my gear over night, it was about a 15 minute walk, with shops on the way for breakfast, gifts, liquor, food, etc.

Dive trips Puerto Vallarta, daily scuba and snorkel tours in Puerto Vallarta, Tours :: Scuba Diving School Vallarta Under Sea - Escuela de buceo

Hola,
Turned out I went there myself. Yesterday, at a very quiet divesite just past Los Arcos, the water was 84F at 50 ft deep. No wetsuit for me needed. Visability 20-30 ft. Tons and tons of sea life, just to much to mention and it all swam in big schools. Very nice diving indeed. Contact me if you are looking for a dive-buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom