Socorros v Cocos Island & warmth question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backpacking diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone--

It seems like there's a lot of people here who've been diving the Socorros, and I had two quick (related) questions-- how cold is it in March/April? 5mm? 7mm? (Yes, I know it depends on the diver-- I tend to freeze and I also don't use a lot of air, so I am last up on most dives... in a 3mm I managed to get cold in Palau...) And does anyone have a comparison to Cocos Island? It sounds like a lot of the same critters, but more spread out and a LOT colder... would I be better off just going back to Cocos and not freezing myself, or are the Socorros worth the chill? Any opinions, advice welcome! Thanks a lot!

first thing is going to be cost. costs lots more to get to costa rica and the live aboard is going to be x thousand dollars more since its a ten day trip. water temp depends on when you go in socorro. early trips and nice and "warm" around 80 on the surface. then it gets colder (dec onward) going into low 70's at least. then towards the end of the season it warms up again. Never been there at the end of the season so i cannot be specific 5 mm in the first month or two would likely be fine. 7 mm jan onward. as to cocos its been quite a few years since i was there but i wore a 5 mm and was fine most of the time unless you hit a killer thermocline. as to what you see. Cocos schools of hammerheads then maybe mantas, lots of white tip sharks, silky sharks, silver tips. Off hand I would say "in general" cocos is better for sharks though its been over ten years since i was there.
Socorro Friendly Mantas and dolphin are i think a given. in the winter humpbacks though seeing one diving is hit or miss. but you will see many from the surface. Maybe schools of hammerheads. Good chance of a whale shark on the first trips of the season.
both are great.

Thanks Augustus! That was very helpful-- I'm thinking maybe I'll postpone Socorros until next year in the warmer part of the season, since I get cold so easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom