Diving off Cozumel from PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We will be staying just south of Playa Del Carmen in March and would like to do at least a few dives off Cozumel. I understand most dive shops use the ferry to cross but a few (Tank Ha and Geofish) run their boats across the channel. Any recommendations on dive shops? In light of the recent sinking of a dive boat is it safe to take a small dive boat across the channel and is the risk worth saving 2 or 3 hours on the overall trip?

I've done the trip many times with Tank Ha and never felt concerned while crossing over to Cozumel. It can feel like a long ride by the time you get across and head south to the dive sites, but I still prefer it to dragging my gear back and forth on the ferry. I've been very happy with Tank Ha and have dove with them for nearly ten years now. I like being able to dive Cozumel, the Playa area and the cenotes all with the same shop, and the staff is always great - helpful, professional and fun to dive with.

I could be mistaken but I believe GeoFish sends you on the TankHa boat to Coz. Unless something has changed they don't send their own boat across the channel.

Hello ! We organise at Ecodiving Tour Cozumel dives ! We use the ferry, indeed, it's way safer and shorter, only 45 minutes from Playa to Cozumel. Once we get there, everything is organised for your dive ! Check out our website about cozumel dives !
Dive Cozumel Reefs - Ecodivingtours
And don't hesitate to contact us for more information !

I was in PDC only 3 loooooooooong weeks ago. Did the "Taste of Playa" package with Tank Ha and the trip to Cozumel on their twin engine boat was not a problem in the least. It was absolutely a pleasure to leave the beach in PDC and be on the reef in Cozumel 45 minutes later. I highly recommend Tank Ha.

My son & I were at the ferry dock bright & early, dive bags loaded & ready, for the quick trip over to Coz from PDC. We spent a 3 dive day with "Living Underwater"; he took us out despite the fact that 8 other bookings had cancelled due to the influenza situation a few years back. Beautiful boat & great guided dives by Jeremy Anschel, who knows the reefs & their inhabitants well. Fresh fruit & cold drinks between dives, and all the labor is done for you! If I was to dive out of PDC again, I'd reprise that excellent day with Living Underwater.

Regards,
DSD

Reactions: MMM
I ran across this thread and made a reservation with Tank-Ha to spend a day over at Cozumel on my next cave diving trip to Playa in May. This will be my fifth trip to Mexico, but I've never been. They even have DIN tanks!

The only shops I know that run their own boats to Cozumel are Tank Ha and Dive Balam. The marine park permits over in Coz are very very difficult to get which is the main reason there are only 2 shops in town that do it. I think the main question is not so much safety but do you want some time to visit while over in Coz. By ferry-ing it across you do have the freedom to "hang out" after your dives if you so choose.

I would consider Ferrying over to Coz and spending the night. Get a night dive in, and enjoy a late dinner. Sleep in or maybe get a couple dives in the AM and then take the Ferry back at your leisure. I'd rather be on a big boat crossing the channel. I like small boats until you hit rough seas. I do not get sick, but small boats, whats the word..... oh... sink! A 48' Newton would likely be ok, smaller and I like the ferry.

I ran across this thread and made a reservation with Tank-Ha to spend a day over at Cozumel on my next cave diving trip to Playa in May. This will be my fifth trip to Mexico, but I've never been. They even have DIN tanks!

Hola, rongoodman! When will you be in PDC? I'm trying to arrange two Coz trips with Tank-Ha either May 1,2,3 or 4, but they tell me that they need at least 6 divers to make the crossing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom