Playa del Carmen (short) trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motorref

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got back from a week in PdC and had a blast; water temps were in the high 70's and air temps close to 90 each day; I was comfortable in a 3mm shorty, but everyone else was in full suits (good idea if you're doing any training).
I dove with Jason from Fantasea diving - they use a small boat, so it was good practice for back roll entries, and getting back into the boat was simple and easy. Jason is a great guy with a great team, and, if you're headed there soon, Thin Mints are his favorites!
We saw bull sharks, huge barracudas, a loggerhead bigger than me (no small feat) and some smaller green turtles, plus lots and lots of fish; I was working with a lot of new equipment so didn't get as many pictures as I wanted to, but I was there more to learn/refresh following my surgery.
I will say that I was unprepared for the amount of current there - guess I missed it or didn't realize exactly how fast it is.
We did cenotes one day (not to be missed!) that I would encourage everyone to try at least once - I have a new SeaLife Mini that I was trying out, and while not the best camera with limited flash, I still got some amazing pictures. I did learn that I need a separate flash unit now,,, ummm,, Honey - my birthday is coming up!
I should add that despite what you might hear on tv/radio, the US State Dept has absolutely NO travel warnings for Quintana Roo, and especially none for the resort areas there (Mexico).
I also had the pleasure of meeting Christa, a friend of a friend and the new owner of Geofish Diving - a very sweet girl (young enough to be my daughter!), and while I didn't get to dive with her, I certainly do wish her all the luck in her new business!
In all, it was a great trip; I don't think you can go wrong diving with any of the established operators there, and I'm looking forward to going back.

KevinL

I did 24 dives this year with Christa at Geofish, enjoyed every minute and am thinking about going back again in November. I feel perfectly safe in Riveria Maya. Just like anywhere else you have to keep your eyes open, your nose clean and don't get involved in things that are none of your business.

We were in Plays in Nov. We did 6 dives with Chino of Phantom Divers. Had a great time. All boat entries. He has s great staff. Good operation and staff. Close to the resorts just off of 5th ave just a block walk to the boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom