Quick Trip to Playa Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ednedfred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Was in Mexico City on business a couple of weeks ago and from there made my way to Playa Del Carmen. We vacation in Playa a couple of times a year (and have for over a decade) and have always had a very good time.

I set up my diving ahead of time and, since I had limited time, planned to dive a cenote one day and the ocean the next. If you haven't experienced the cenotes, it's a must. I have dove most of the cenotes over the years and always have fun diving them. Anyway, I contacted the dive shop I customarily use and everything was set.

I walked down to the shop on Day 1 only to learn that the port was closed. The owner of the shop walked me over to Playa Scuba as they were doing the cenotes on this day. Klaus was our guide and we dove Chac Mool. I hadn't dove this site since 2004 so I didn't mind doing it again. All-in-all, the day was awesome and Klaus did an excellent job. Had some fun people along; an attorney lady from Canada, a lady from Pittsburg and a guy from Brazil, good group. They had added a small restaurant on-site since I last dove here. I didn't eat, but those in our group who did said it wasn't bad.

Day 2 started off rough but ended great. I showed up at the dive shop at 8:20 a.m. only to be told by the shop owner that I was the only diver that day and he couldn't make any money taking out just one diver. He said he called three other dive shops and I was on my own. OUCH! I have two days of diving allocated and it looked as if one had gotten the shaft. As I was walking back to my resort, I thought I would stop by Abyss Dive Shop and see if they were going out. I have dove with Abyss on-and-off over the years and never had a bad experience. Dave (the owner) had an opening and I was in. Our DM was Kath and we dove with three guys from Kazakhstan. One of the guys dove with a rebreather, which was different. It worked out okay however as I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand southern. Overall the dives were good however the visibility was off a bit from the rough seas the day before.

Conclusion: looks like I will either use Abyss or Playa Scuba for future dives in Playa. Thanks for reading!

Ednedfred

I have to wonder how anybody is making a living in the dive business when the local dance is the 'Dive Shop Shuffle'. March should still be high season...the months when you make $$ to survice the low season just around the corner. Can't go wrong with Abyss...good people...good shop. I've never been out with Playa Scuba so it's good to hear a comment. Do you know if the cenote DM was a shop guy or an independent?

Hi! I just read your post and was wondering which dive shop did this to you? I just got back last week from diving and just can't imagine how mad I would be if this happened to me! I dove the Cenotes and it was an amazing experience! Just curious. I was very happy with the dive company I used but it wasn't the ones you mentioned.

So instead of taking you out and taking your money, they would preffer to have no work at all? Doesnt make sense...

He works at the shop. Good guy, lots of experience.

Back
Top Bottom