Good Snorkeling In The Playa Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some nice areas to take my family snorkeling in the Playa area. I've visited much of the costline from Cancun to Tulum and it's always windy with a lot of wave and surf action. My kids are 8 and 10 so I'm looking for some protected bays or double reefs with water that is calm and offers some decent fish life. I plan on taking them to a couple of cenotes to snorkel, but I think they would enjoy the ocean wildlife more.

I've read great things about the snorkeling in Akumal, but thought it was to windy and rough for most people when I was there a couple of years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PH

Most of the snorkel trips out of playa happen in the morning due to afternoon winds.

The two sites that best fit your needs are north Akumal Bay and Yal Kul, both in Akumal. The better of the two is Akumal Bay. It is a virtual lock that you will see a sea turtle. There are a lot of coral heads for fish. If you are very lucky, sometimes there is a baitball of silversides in the bay. The biggest concern is that there is some boat traffic. The drivers are careful, but I would stick the kids in life vests for visibility.

Yal Kul is on the north end of Akumal and is very sheltered with no boat traffic. Just not as much to see. If you go make it before 11am. The vans from Cancun start showing up and mix the fresh and salt water making it seem oily.

Another plus is that you are very close to Dos Ojos.

Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation used to have aerials of the area that could be helpful to you.

Thanks Driftwood. Which bay is Akumal Beach Resort on? We stayed there a couple of years ago. It was beautiful, but heavy winds made for large waves all week.

I'll check out the topo link you posted as well.

PH

Thanks again Driftwood. That's good advice on Akumal bay, we will give the north end a try. I've never been in Yal-Ku Lagoon. Looks like to be good in size. Anywhere you reccomend with nice coral heads or grass area?

Appreciate the help.

PH

+1 for Yal Ku lagoon.

Edit: I should also mention that Yal Ku doesn't have any coral that I recall, but the cool stuff there is the rock formations that you can swim around, plus fish of various sizes. No waves, either. I'm told that turtles are present, but I haven't seen one.

Also, there is a minimal entrance fee, and bathrooms, showers and changing areas are all available. They are pretty hardcore on the sun block, and will ask you to shower off any non-biodegradable block that you may have already applied before going in. Bring some biodegradable stuff or buy some there and you are good. (Be sure to re-apply more often than the regular stuff!)

Last edited:
Thanks adampax.

I've seen some posts on another Playa forum that have suggested the outer area of Coco Beach on the outside of the reef and also Xel Ha. Although it sounds like Coco can get rough. Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
PH

PH,

If you are heading down that way would suggest maps from mapchick.com. My wife and I rented a car March '11 and drove down from the Cancun airport. The maps were invaluable providing a lot of detailed information on the roads and attractions. Also they are updated on a fairly regular basis.

I've seen some posts on another Playa forum that have suggested the outer area of Coco Beach on the outside of the reef and also Xel Ha. Although it sounds like Coco can get rough. Anyone have experience with either?

I do like snorkeling in Xel Ha a lot. The only thing to be aware of though is that it is a popular destination for tour groups, and it isn't cheap. If you are familiar with the other 'X' parks, Xcaret, Xplor, xcetera (haha) then you will know what to expect. The main difference with Xel Ha is that snorkeling in the lagoon is the main focus.

The lagoon is very large, and is kind of similar to Yal Ku, in that there isn't any coral, but there are some interesting rock formations and a lot of fish.

2 Tips:
-- The food buffet is good, and I thought the all inclusive package was worth it, especially if you are staying there all day. Snorkeling for hours at a time makes me hungry!
-- On the east end there is a floating bridge, and a lot of critters hang out underneath it. Including some pretty big guys. Also, There is a snuba setup down there, and they have quite a few stingrays hanging out there that you can get a good look at while snorkeling.

Thanks again Driftwood. That's good advice on Akumal bay, we will give the north end a try. I've never been in Yal-Ku Lagoon. Looks like to be good in size. Anywhere you reccomend with nice coral heads or grass area?

Appreciate the help.

PH

Take a look at the photo of Central Akumal. Most of the dark areas in the bay are coral heads. The "grass" grows on the sandy area between them. The easiest way to find the turtles is to look for the tour groups that are all bunched together. If that doesn't work, find the Cannon House and draw a line that is parallel to either the barrier reef or the shore in front of Lol Ha. 50-75m should put you in the zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom