Diving in Playa Del Carmen and Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

I'm going down to Playa Del Carmen in about 1 month and I was courious to see how strong the currents are and if anyone heard anything bad or good with Scuba Caribe as they are on teh resort where I'll be. According to their site they are mentioning some dive spot where there are strong currents.

Locally here the dive place we go, there is lots of current and its about 2 knots. So what would be Playa be compared in strenght? I'm not too concern with drift dive as I mention that's what we do here and its fun, but more concern with the down current and there might not even be some there also.

Thanks in advance,

We dove PDC area last June. The currents were a little more mild than Cozumel. Nice current to move you along but nothing dramatic on all the reefs. We did the Mama Vina wreck and the current was pretty strong but I that's because it's out where there is normally more current.

Thanks Guys for your feedback. I don't mind the current and drift dive, its the down current I've been reading about espacially in Coz and that girl that's missing. I always like to be prepare and knowing the sites in advance.

Down currents do occur in the channel. The best way to handle them is to kick out of them to the side. Don't try to fight them by over inflating your bc or kicking straight up. You won't win. They are typicaly not very wide and can be kicked out of. Add some air to the bc, but not too much and kick hard to the side. Watch your bubles and depth (computer).

I wouldn't worry to much about them though. Dive, have fun, but be prepared.

PH

Current is not normally an issue in PDC. This year has not been typical and the weather in general has been unsettled. The port has been closed more often than at any time in recent memory and once was closed for 5 consecutive days which is unheard of. Visibility has also been affected with heavy and more frequent rains. Prior to this year and last there was a five year dry spell which made for very good diving. The recent rains have helped revitalized the jungle but the diving has suffered. This may not be an issue once May and June arrive. There is normally more current at Los Arcos and Mama Vina. I was there for 3 weeks in March and only dove three times. Between the port being closed and the bad vis the diving was a waste of time. Even the dives I did there were people sick on the boat due to the rough conditions and the heavy surge on the bottom. That was a family holiday anyway so the missed/lack of diving wasn't an issue. I plan on going back in July for a 'dive' week and hopefully conditions will have improved.

Last edited:
I dived with Scuba Caribe at the Grand Palladium in December of 2010. They were ok but I found that the boat crew was not as helpful as some other shops. I also found that the boat ladder was too short. It was hard to climb out of the water because the bottom rung was so high. I talked to other divers that dive with Scuba Caribe every year so maybe I am too picky.

I was at the Grand Palladium again this January, took the collectivo to PDC every day and did 24 dives with Geofish.

I have stayed in the Grand Palladium Colonial two times and enjoyed it very much. I like the free wifi and live music (evening) in the lobby.

In 2010 I dived south of the hotel and I do not remember any current. I really enjoyed the current this year around PDC. We surfaced once during a thunder and lightning storm. That was fun!

Been diving the region for 10 - 12 years and the current has never been an issue. True, you may get a bit at the Mama Vina and Los Arcos, however compared with Cozumel, it's very minimal.

I never dove with Scuba Caribe but they were the "house shop" at a couple AI's we stayed at. I've seen them on the water when diving Playa with other shops. Struck me as lots of newly minted divers doing "follow me" dives with the DM swimming around dealing with various buoyancy, weighting and other mostly minor issues. Lots of bouncing off the reef, crowding and limited bottom time. Not the kind of environment I enjoy. There are many good shops in Playa with good reputations. The last time we were there (Nov '11) we dove with Tank Ha in the ocean and enjoyed them, I'd use them again. If you're thinking Cenote - Nicolas at http://www.cenotexperience.com.mx/ is awesome!

Thanks for all the good feedback.

"Byte Me" As for the cenote well that's not for me. I know my limitations and that type of diving I would not feel comfortable.

Anyhow I cannot wait to go diving. Last year I dove in Samana and because I just got certified I used their equipement. This year I've got my own gear and its coming down with me so that in itself so make it more fun and more confidence since I know my gear and trust it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom