PADI Certification Dives Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seasss

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have taken the in-class portion of PADI open water and would like to do my certification dives down south somewhere (as I live in Canada).

I was thinking of Playa Del Carmen because cost of a trip down there is a little cheaper than some other destinations, but I'm open to other suggestions. There's no PADI centers in Cuba, correct?

Could anyone recommend a good dive center to do my certification dives with? Reviews of Playa Scuba dive center on Trip Advisor are very good. I just happened to come across that one and haven't really looked around for other companies.

Or is there another location that would be better for me to do my certification dives?

Thanks for any help! :)

We work with quite a few students from Ocean Sports in Edmonton, Alberta and would be happy to have you do your referral dives in Cozumel...

Open Water Referrals | Blue Angel Scuba School

(mods, if this isn't appropriate please let me know.)

You are correct about there being no PADI centers in Cuba. If you are doing your referral in Mexico, Playa del Carmen is a great place to do it. Lots of marine life to see. I've worked in both Cozumel and in Playa and think Playa is a better choice.

Although you may see bigger fish in Cozumel because the reefs on the west side of the are considered a national park and therefore, protected, there's actually more variety of wildlife in the Playa reefs. Another factor to consider is the current which can be quite strong in Cozumel and may not be the best choice for your certification dives. In Playa there can be current, but usually it much less than what you'll find in Cozumel.

Another consideration is that on Cozumel your options for activities are pretty limited. If you are on the mainland, you can do some easy day trips to Mayan ruins, visit other towns, etc. This could be nice if you have others in your group who are neither divers nor have much interest in aquatic activity (aside from dips in the ocean).

Do take a look on Trip Advisor, but be thorough and check out at least a couple of dive centers. Are the reviews well thought out and thorough or just the usual "they are great" with no back up information. Also write to the dive centers that interest you and see what kind of reply you get. Perhaps you'll get a "feeling" for a particular shop that just "feels right" to you.

Enjoy your underwater adventures!

Hey there,

I have taken the in-class portion of PADI open water and would like to do my certification dives down south somewhere (as I live in Canada).

so? :poke:...we're Canadians, we can take it :p

j/k lol

you mean you had no pool training at all, just going straight for the checkout dives?

anyways, i have been scouring the internet for dive shops too since we're going to Akumal in may and i came across this Canadian run dive shop with over 15 years of experience

Playa del Carmen Diving with The Abyss Dive Center

disclaimer: i am in no way associated nor affiliated to this dive shop, just offering a suggestion

Playa is a great choice for checkout dives. Lots of checkout friendly sites, Jardines, Cerebros, Barracuda, Mo Che Shallow, Chunzumbul, Tortugas, to name a few are all in the 30-60' range. Drift on all these sites will be your constant companion, but shouldn't be too bad. Most all have sandy areas near the beginning which are great for kneeling in and doing skills. You can then finish the dive drifting over the reef!

You'll get numerous recommendations for dive shops to go with. I've used a couple, Tank Ha most recently who I was very happy with and would use again. I've heard good things about Geofish but they're under new ownership recently.

Most importantly, have a wonderful adventure!

Another Canadian saying HI!! My boyfriend and I run a small, personalized shop here in Playa (we've been here for over 5 years). Feel free to email me if you need more information, advice, or just some good recommendations for your time here!!!

I agree with T4E... consider Abyss Dive Center in Playa. There are many good shops in Playa, but Abyss has been around for many years and the owner has lots of experience diving in the area. Really knows the reefs and is quite safety-conscious. Abyss is a nice small shop so you won't feel like you are on a cattle boat or rushed through your training.

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom