Whale shark "season" in the Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadbilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know the best time of year for whale sharks in the Gulf of California / Sea of Cortez? My attempts at finding out have yielded conflicting reports. I'd always heard late summer for places like La Paz and Bahia de Los Angeles. But other sources claim the opposite of that. Is there a right answer? And in spite of what that might be, if I find myself in La Paz at some point during the summer, (likely July or August) do I have any chance of finding any?

'preciate the help!

july - august will be too early, the most consistent month is november, and as early as late september, they come right up into the bay (la paz), in about 15 to 25 feet of water, the water is full of food for them, they then can be found around the whole region from late nov, we had one here in the cabo bay last month, it was a juvenile, but was swimming around the main beach.

Back
Top Bottom