Yucatan Cozumel travel advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rodrico99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My girlfriend and I will be heading to Cozumel for our first time late in june. In addition to Cozumel, we will be traveling extensivly throughout the Yucatan peninsula via whatever regional transit is available. we will have with us as luggage two BC,s, two sets of regs, and two dive computers masks ect.

My question is: how safe will our gear be traveling like this? Is this even a practicle thing to attempt, and are there any insurance options for this sort of thing that anyone knows of.

Any and all advise would be welcome. Thank you in advance ........R

I prefer renting a car for getting around Quintana Roo and get great deals including insurance from Easy Way, but if you prefer - Ado buses are quite comfortable, clean, fast, inexpensive, and there are van services here and there. Here is a high definition map you can click to zoom for your planning: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

This site has a lot of info on the various attractions: Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation

Detailed tour maps from Can-Do maps are quite informative: cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya

You and your luggage will be safer than in most US cities I think, but there are always possibilities. My medical coverage does not extend there so I get trip insurance from TravelSafe.com that includes luggage insurance and much more.

Welcome to SB. I presume you both have DAN dive insurance...??

I agree with Dandy Don. Once away from Cancun, just be as cautious as you would be at home. We have dove the Yucatan 5 times, most recently last November, and never had an issue. We have rented a car, and also used the "collectiva," 15 passenger vans that stop alot, but get you where you are going. Large busses run, but with all you stuff, a car is a good idea. Have a great time. Best web site for Yucatan planning is locogringo.com.
DivemasterDennis

My girlfriend and I will be heading to Cozumel for our first time late in june. In addition to Cozumel, we will be traveling extensivly throughout the Yucatan peninsula via whatever regional transit is available. we will have with us as luggage two BC,s, two sets of regs, and two dive computers masks ect.

My question is: how safe will our gear be traveling like this? Is this even a practicle thing to attempt, and are there any insurance options for this sort of thing that anyone knows of.

Any and all advise would be welcome. Thank you in advance ........R

My first question is how much of this vacation will be diving? If you are only going to be diving on Coz, you might be better off renting your bulkier gear. Absolutely take your masks and computers with you.

A big second on the maps Dandydon mentioned. They will be invaluable to you.

One addition, since I want you to start thinking about limiting the stuff you have to drag around, Mexico has a lot of Lavanderias. They provide a wash and fold service for about $5 or $6 a kilo. Becky and me take half the clothes we need on a trip and hit them twice. First the day before we need clean clothes (24 hour turn around most of the time) and two days before we travel home. Nice to come home with clean clothes.

Thank you Dandy Don & Dennis,

I think I've got a handle on this thanks to your input. We're brinigning regs & masks period. We are both very excited to know about the lavendera (?) wash & fold service, and are calculating how many Kilo's of dirty clothes we could concievably bring with us!
Thanks again.....R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom