A week in Loreto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
We had the marvelous opportunity to spend a week in the vicinity of Loreto, Mexico, and I particularly wanted to write a trip report about it, because there is very little here on SB about Loreto. (I know, because I tried to research the area before we made our trip, and I found very little on line in general about the place!)

Land: Loreto is a small coastal town, about two-thirds of the way down the eastern side of Baja California. It sits between the Giganticas mountains and the Sea of Cortez, affording beautiful views in both directions. There is not a lot of development in Loreto or nearby, except for the Inn at Loreto Bay. The town itself seems rather sleepy, which is nice; although it clearly depends heavily on tourism, judging from the number of restaurants, there are only a few shops and almost no hawkers at all, which I enjoyed. There is a lovely promenade along the shore, which was under construction when we were there.

303347_10150990792319216_2133736011_n.jpg

538136_10150986870544216_1158809130_n.jpg

We ate at the Oasis Hotel for breakfast, where I had what were just plain the best huevos rancheros I've ever eaten. The restaurant includes a patio that ends right at the beach, and the views are fantastic.

197791_10150990794769216_1362599608_n.jpg

The lunch we had in town was at Orlando's, a sidewalk cafe, and I had fish tacos which were also excellent. We had dinner and lunch at the restaurant associated with the Tripui Hotel. Again, the setting was lovely, but the food was more ordinary.

We drove down to the Villa del Palmar hotel one evening, to look at the place and take photos. This hotel is about 30 or 40 minutes south of Loreto proper, and it is a beautiful property. We spent some time taking pictures of the bay with the mountains behind it.

600190_10150978761819216_1937369554_n.jpg

One of our non-diving days, we drove up to the Mission San Francisco Javier, which was the first mission established on the Baja peninsula, and is about 250 years old. It was an interesting drive, winding up into the arid hills, and made me wonder why on earth anyone ever established a mission precisely THERE.

224992_4033114627110_1092729797_n.jpg

179933_10150990795329216_1585656961_n.jpg

We were actually staying with a personal friend, who lives in a trailer park . . . Well, not your average trailer park. The Tripui resort is a place that appears to have begun as a bunch of palapas built to shelter trailers and boats, but has turned into mostly a little housing development. It also has the hotel and restaurant I already mentioned, and a small convenience store just outside the fence. The views of the mountains in the morning are spectacular.

181011_4033102826815_547440005_n.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:40 AM ----------

The diving: We were diving off a private boat, a 26 foot fishing boat that belongs to our host, Dennus Baum (who also happens to have been one of my OW instructors, lo these many years ago!) It was an inboard/outdrive with plenty of room for three people to load tanks and assorted dive gear. There was a nice swim step and a light ladder -- the order of go was to don and doff gear in the water on gear lines.

479722_4039872476052_714842161_n.jpg

224864_4039866955914_1238619129_n.jpg

Except for the first day, all the diving we did was around Danzante Island. Danzante is part of the Loreto Marine Preserve, which includes five islands. Although sport fishing is permitted there, commercial fishing is not, and there is little shipping in the area, so the sites are pretty quiet. Danzante is a steep, arid island with not much of anything on it, and although the topography suggests that the cliffs should continue into sheer walls underwater, the sites actually turn out to be slopes covered with boulders, ranging from a couple of feet in diameter to twenty or more. Although I had been told of fantastic visibility by a friend who had been there earlier this year, we encountered more modest conditions. The first day, on Isla del Carmen, we had about ten to fifteen feet; subsequently, it improved. The last day, we had about 30 feet or so. It was a shame that it wasn't a bit clearer, because this area was some of the "fishiest" diving I've done anywhere. We saw schools of a wide variety of fish, and HUGE bumphead parrotfish and cabrillas. Wide angle shots of some of these "aquarium" sites would have been spectacular, but we just couldn't get them.

What we got instead was LOTS of macro. Although at first glance, the rocks are brown and appear rather uninteresting, closer inspection rewarded us with tons of interesting photo subjects. We found at least five species of nudibranch, several species of tubeworm, beautiful gorgonians, and fascinating shellfish.

556723_10150976425624216_1928280865_n.jpg

283611_4029705341880_1490183457_n.jpg

554827_10150984852424216_1826344675_n.jpg

We found cheeky blennies (and one of my huge insights from the trip was to be utterly awed at anybody who gets pictures of blennies, because they are ridiculously tiny and move like lightning!).

543361_10150984851844216_928999917_n.jpg

Luckily, all three of us like to move slowly and take lots of pictures:

481318_10150984853929216_651967066_n.jpg

This gives you an idea of what the dive sites looked like:

198251_4039859915738_1066737651_n.jpg

Some sites had tons of sea fans:

562152_4046722487298_1600733367_n.jpg

We saw morays, including my find of a zebra moray, of whom I unfortunately was unable to get a picture. We saw electric rays, diamond rays, and although not while diving, spotted eagle rays and jumping mobulis rays. We had dolphins ride our bow wave, and watched pelicans fishing.

206190_4042661225769_236747761_n.jpg

Overall, this was some of the best diving I've done anywhere, especially if you like a large number and variety of fish.

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip, both the land and water portions of it, and I am sure we will go back.

---------- Post Merged at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Forgot to mention . . . Max depth on our dives was about 50 feet, and many of the sites seemed to bottom out in sand and rubble at that depth. Water temperature was a max of 75 and a low of 71, with a very distinct and visible thermocline at about 30 feet. Current was negligible, and only on the last day did we have any surge to speak of. We did attempt one offshore site, which had a LOT of surface, wind-driven current, but none at depth.

Last edited:
I've been going to Loreto every year since 2003 and diving for atleast a week each trip. Its a great place with tons to see and not just down below. I've been able to see pods of hundreds of dolphin, 20-30 pilot whales, a few fin whales and schools of Mobulas. I've camped on Monseratt Island and hiked all over it, what a beautiful area of the Sea of Cortez. Loreto is a special place and a quick 1hr 45min flight from LAX. I personally know Rafael the divemaster at Dolphin Dive Baja and I can't say enough good things about these people.

I'm glad you also found Loreto a special place

If you go down to Loreto again be sure to do a night dive with the Humbolt Squid if they are around the islands.

Iggy

Iggy, we found it a special place, too. I'm sure we will go back.

Were you not nervous about diving with the Humboldt Squid? They're up there with Great Whites on the list of things I'm not sure I want to see in the water . . .

TSandM: Very nice report. I have been to Loreto a couple of times and loved it. Heading back in September. What time of year were you there? You report poor visibility and the water must have been cool give your wetsuits and hoods. September usually has decent visibility and warmer water---assuming no northerly hurricanes or tropical storms. The Humboldt Squid are gone for now---and when they did dive with them--it was night dives in protective cages (much like some great white shark dives). Will post a report after our trip in September.

Thanks enjoyed the photos and the report!

We were just there -- third week in June. Water temperatures ranged from a high of 75 to a low of 71, which was cooler than the stuff I was able to find to read suggested we would have. Our friend Dennus, with whom we stayed, says that the best viz is like it is in Seattle, in August and September.

We spent a week in Loreto last August with a group of 26 from our LDS. We stayed at the La Mision Loreto Hotel right on the promenade. An excellent hotel. Topside temp was about 105. H2O temps about 87 degs. We really enjoyed the trip and we are considering returning for a week in early October.

Beautiful photos...enjoyed your report. Come back and try the other islands. I live here in Loreto and I dive here July-October. I think the best time is late September, early October when the water temp is the mid-high 80's and depending upon weather conditions, visibility can be 100 feet. I second the recommendation of Rafael, the divemaster at Dolphin Dive Center. He knows the area very well. There are numerous great dive locations off all the islands, and most often you will encounter aquarium conditions...fish everywhere! This year there seem to be a lot more turtles than in the past. I've more than once had dolphins come down to check out us divers...and from time to time a whale shark comes through. If I never went anywhere else to dive, I could happily just dive here.

Yes, the number and diversity of fish was amazing. I wish we had had just a bit better viz, to spend more time looking at the big picture -- but we were pretty entertained and delighted by the macro life, too. I'm quite sure we will be back, and I'll try to remember to PM you when we come, and maybe we can dive or at least share a beer or some outrageous huevos rancheros together!

Elizabeth517: So great to see your observations about Loreto in September/October. Our group is going to be in Loreto for 6 days arriving 9/13/12. We have been there a couple of times--the first time back in the mid 1970's (we must have been there at the wrong time as we didn't think it was that great back then). Really looking forward to returning at the best time of the year. Will be diving with Leon at Baja Outpost staying around the corner at Las Cabanas de Loreto. Would love to have you join us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom