Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Isla Mujeres (or another whale shark place)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cumbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've decide to go on a holiday to Mexico. We have about 10 days (8 full and 2 when we fly from/to Miami). We want to
- do diving in Cozumel,
- snorkel with whale sharks and
- some topside activities.

Should we stay at Cozumel or can we go by boat from Playa del Carmen every morning for dives (how long is the boat ride)? Should we pick an all-inclusive resort with diving and meals included (i.e. are there some recommended ones) or should we take a hotel and take dives separately? Can you recommend nice dive companies/all inclusive resorts? We want a reputable company because my girlfriend is a beginner.

We also want to snorkel with whale sharks. Is Isla Mujeres the place to go or do you recommend something else? Any companies recommended?

How about topside activities? Is Cenote cave worth it? How about the Mayan ruins?

I'd really appreciate the help!

If your main focus is diving, I would stay in cozumel. It will make your whale shark excursion longer, but the convenience the rest of the days outweighs getting up early one day. You will need to take the ferry and then a shuttle bus for your whaleshark excursion. An alternative would be taking maya air from Cozumel to cancun, but that seems a bit excessive.

Hope this helps a bit. Just wrapped up 5 months in Cozumel, so if you have any questions give me a shout.

I personally don't like all inclusives. If you stay near town and eat a few blocks east of the main touristy area you can get wicked great meals or $5US each. Use the money saved to buy more diving.

I highly recommend Aldora Diving - great operation that picks up downtown or at your resort further south. They also have a small villa you can rent rooms in just north of town that they pick up at. Looked very nice when we dropped by a few times. Great people, boats, and equipment if you are needing to rent anything. They use high capacity steel tanks (120 or 100 cubic feet instead of 80), so if your girlfriend uses air up as quickly as I did when I started diving she won't have super short dives.

Deep Exposure is also a good operation. I have heard good things about Blue Angel as well -- they have a hotel just south of town. Still walkable. Ate there a few times and the restaurant is tasty, but speedier because it is right on the water.

Good luck!

With so many questions the search feature is going to be your friend!

Personally I wouldn't in a million years stay in PDC and ferry over everyday to dive in Cozumel. The last thing I want to do is involve 2-3 hours of my vacation each day revolving around doing that, especially with lugging gear!. Stay in PDC, dive in PDC. Stay in Coz, dive in Coz.

Isla Mujeres is a great place to see whale sharks, but again, it's another ferry ride out to the island to then leave from their dock. I'd again just book in Cancun with an outfit that leaves from there. Of if staying in PDC book with an outfit that will take care of everything transportation wise. The main whale shark area was Holbox, further north of Isla Mujeres, but Isla Mujeres is taking over as the location now. This is a recent development that for whatever reason they have suddenly figured out how to attract tourist dollars there to go see whale sharks, but for years and years it was all about Holbox. If you stay in Coz you can do the all day long trip to see the whale sharks or do the higher priced less stressed verison that they take you over in a small plane. Again search and you will find all this info here and on google.

The best ruins are on the mainland. If you're staying at PDC then you're half way there already. Tulum is down the coast and worth it just for the quickness to getting there and the beach combination. Chitzen Itza further inland is the big daddy of mayan ruins if you want the big show, and then there are others.

Cenote cave? not sure what you mean. Cenote diving or snorkeling is popular, some people can't get enough, some do it once and are done. Again if you're staying at PDC you're already 1/2 way there. The cenotes and ruins are accessible from Cozumel, it's just a more involved process since you need to get to the main land first and can make for a very long day.

All inclusive or not? Who can say what's for you? Only you know what you like. If you're worried there is a problem with one or the other, there isn't. Both are very popular on Coz, it depends on the individual. Some people will be very opinionated that all inclusive is not the way to go because they love the restaurants in the main town on Cozumel. It's Mexican food, not 5 star dining, so your mileage will vary, I personally don't get excited by any food on Cozumel, be it all inclusive or other, but that's me, I'm there for the diving and such and don't look to Mexico as a foodie destination, obviously being on the ocean if you're a seafood lover you should expect to be able to get fresh sea food, but other than that - it's Mexican cuisine, not anything I get excited over. But you can do either all inclusive or not, or combine both, it's up to you if you like to get out and about and explore or not, or want to just veg out at a resort.

Mostly "what they said"; for diving, staying in Coz is much better; the "commute" to Coz from PDC sounded to long too me when I was on the mainland recently. BUT it would not be bad once or twice (get a cheap room on mainland too?) to
snorkel with whale sharks or see ruins.

This last time, while staying on mainland we visited several ruins (we really enjoyed that) and visited some Cenotes (2 dives/1 swim snorkel). I would strongly recommend against Cenote "Dives" with a newer diver (as Mike inferred, my son and I did one "trip"/ two dives and will not likely do it again simply as we did not feel it was within our training; not a bad experience, just technically not within our training) That said we did drive out to a cenote to swim and snorkel one day with the "wife" and younger son and that was cool (literally). She "loved" the bats! : ) "What bats?"

All Inclusive or "ala carte" is a personal choice, as has also been said. I like both for different trips and still usually go out to eat a bit when we have AI. If it is a dive specific trip AI is sometimes nice as food is "right there" when you need it; but is usually described as "OK" and repetitive. Luckily I'm OK with that on a dive trip, and willing to pay for variety when we have time.

Bob in CO

Cumbo, it is hard to answer without a little more info on your girlfriend's and your style of travel. But I LOVE traveling and diving Cozumel, so will share this one family's experiences. Ferrying over to Cozumel from PDC daily would be a pain in the __. In fact, one aspect of a dive vacation in Cozumel that I love is the rhythm of the dive day, which would not work with a daily ferry ride. For example, most 6-pack dive ops (the ops like Blue XTSea, Blue Angel, Diving with Martin, etc), will pick you up at your hotel pier at 8 AM. You will do two delicious and sublime dives, ending around noon, at which time they drop you back by your pier. If you are using one of the smaller boutique shops, they will keep and wash your gear... if not, you have to haul your gear somewhere and rinse it, unless you rent everything. (I write this assuming your beginner girlfriend is already dive certified... if not yet, that changes the pace of your holiday diving considerably). If you want to do afternoon dives you can do that too... we usually relax with some brews or margaritas and explore the town of San Miguel, or nap by the pool. We stay at the Park Royal all-inclusive, and overall have had 3 years of good experience and the food there is better than similar priced AI's like Hotel Cozumel (although, if you can deal with boring food at Hotel Cozumel, a lot of people love it for the convenience and layout). I also like Park Royal because it has a piece of its property right on the water (rare closer to town), a tiny little sand beach for a bit of sunbathing (again, rare as a lot of the Cozumel hotel coast is rough sharp rock), and there is good safe access to the water there for casual snorkling (very very rare on that main stretch of Coz hotel coast). If I was taking a break from big-hotel, AI experience in Cozumel, I would try the Blue Angel Resort, which is rumored to have a more intimate experience, decent restaurant, and a decent dive shop on site.

For your whale shark experience... I have done a lot of internet research on how best to do that from Cozumel. My decision for us when we try that is to do it in two stages of vacation. At the very end or beginning of the trip... fly into the area of Holbox or Isla Mujeres, do the whale sharks, and stay in that general area overnight. Then start a fresh new day and get to Cozumel as a totally separate stage. Likely using some type of van transport from where we stay at the whale shark area, and get down to PDC, and ferry over to Coz, take a taxi from the ferry to the hotel (typically about $8 US, so not bad). If you want to do a ruin, Tulum is beautiful and a nice half day trip south of PDC. I do not want to mess with your enthusiasm or travel creativity... but adding in a cenote dive on the mainland, with all the things you want to do, is likely not going to be value-added for this trip. Just my two cents, especially in light of the fact you are new to Cozumel's reef diving, and likely do not realize there are months of new experiences to have just there.

Once you are on the island of Coz, you could fill every morning half day with diving (throw in a night dive), and have a totally different and wonderful and satifying experience. The town is neat, inviting, and pretty to explore, the people very friendly and gracious. We always feel safe there strolling and visiting. A neat day trip on Coz is to rent a car for about $50-75 a day, and drive out to the wild beach side of the island... mosy along bar to bar, or beach to beach, exploring the cool shore caves and geysers here and there (at Rastas/Marleys and up to Coconuts). We LOVE to stop by Rastas/Marleys on that wild beach side, get a beer in the hammocks, and then get a massage right there above the bar with the sound of the surf crashing in outside. Marvelous. Very relaxed gyspsy style day, if that is your thing.

Have a great time designing your perfect trip. Happy travel!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great responses!

We've now decided to first go to Isla Mujeres for a couple of days and do the trip from there (any whale shark op recommendations?). From there we'll continue to Cozumel (there's no boat straight from Isla Mujeres to Cozumel, is there?). We're going to dive for a about 4-5 days at Cozumel (good dive op + hotel/resort next to it recommendations are welcome).

Next, we're thinking about going to Tulum for a couple of days instead of Playa del Carmen. From what I've read, the beaches should be more beautiful. The cenotes are also closer to Tulum than PDC (we're thinking about Gran Cenote or Dos Ojos, recommendations?). Also, we might go to see a pyramid or two from Tulum (Chitzen Itza or another one?). Tulum still has some nice restaurants/shops, doesn't it? So it's not TOO peaceful. :wink:

Cumbo, are all your vacations...sooooo, mmm busy... gosh I would not have time to breathe let alone enjoy everything.. We made Tulum and the cenotes a trip by itself..
Chichen Itza was three days alone.. I did Coz once, its not my particular cuppa but it was fun.. I am a shallow, I like the pretty fishies kinda person. It is really nice place you will enjoy Cozumel. You will also really like the whale shark trip.

Does the Ferry take you back to Cancun? if so you can pick up the ADO bus to Playa.. I cannot recommend them more.. great company..
Autobuses ADO take a sweater, the buses are COLD.. the prices are extremely reasonable. Well reasonable compared to a similar trip stateside.

After much comparing and thinking, we managed to book diving and a hotel from Cozumel. However, some things still need answering. Help?

- any whale shark op recommendations? Should we book in advance?
- there's no boat straight from Isla Mujeres to Cozumel, is there?
- Cenotes: we're thinking about Gran Cenote or Dos Ojos, recommendations?
- Pyramids: Chitzen Itza or another one?

Back
Top Bottom