20 manta rays - Isla Mujeres - Piedra Aleva dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove with SqualoAdventures Isla Mujeres over the 4th of July, 20 manta rays at dive site called Piedra Aleva. Picture shows another 5 or 6 that swam under us during the safety stop.

Following day another set of divers got to swim with 3 dolphins at the same site.

Trip report to follow.

mantas.jpg

Cool photo though I think they might be mobulas. Smaller cousin of the manta

They were all a little smaller than expected for what I thought manta rays would be. However, aren't Mobulas known for breaching the surface all the time? There isn't any reporting of seeing this behavior there, which makes it confusing if these are Mobulas there instead of Mantas.

This video shows typical Mobulas behavior which is pretty unique, but not being reported happening around Isla Mujeres. I don't know if Mobulas would act that differently based on being on the other side of Mexico or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFc2EDXVEGY

its been a while since i saw some mobulas and that was in the Pacific. I have seen mantas quite a few times and these look too small for a manta and the profile looks wrong as well. Check out Paul Hunnan book. Also this link to a video Diving the Islas Revillagigedos of Mexico on the Solmar V - YouTube
At the one minute mark a mobula swims up above a manta. That said there are various species in the manta ray familia. Maybe some else has thoughts on this.

Mobulas or Mantas...doesn't matter. I have been diving Isla for over 12 years and haven't seen either. Congrats.

Very cool! What direction was the dive site in relation to the island? Could the site have been called Piedra Atravesada?

5 miles or so North east I believe. Could be called that, there is very little 'official' naming out there.

Was thinking it was Atravesada as well. Did you go to Sleeping Shark caves on the same trip? Those are the 2 that are normally done together.

1st dive was Arrecife Paila, had some large pipe running along the bottom, looked like a water pipe

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 90
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back