Weather and Dive Conditions in San Carlos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dive San Carlos reports that the current water temperatures are 86 to 88 degrees and that there is clear visibility on the south sides of isles and coves. It currently is raining there.

We'll update this on a weekly basis, or if a major change occurs.

Reactions: Jax
Weekend report for 10/19-10/21:

Air temps were in the upper 80's to low 90's and not unpleasantly humid. Water temps however are starting to cool with temps at San Pedro island in the 81-82 degree range. The ever present Sea Lions made sure we knew they were there.

10/20
Southpoint: usual current with about 40-50 feet of vis. The current out to the swim through was moderate, but the initial loop back required some serious finning. The cove had the usual mild current.

North Lighthouse Rock: 40-50 ft vis with a gentle current that required little no finning for the return trip to the boat. Lots of Giant Hawfish, a school of 5 Reef Cornetfish, and a bait ball. Apart from that, alot of the usual suspects.

Las Cascaditas: 50-60 ft vis with a gentle current. This was by far my favorite dive as I found a new species of nudi(new to me). Another, or possibly the same school of Reef Cornetfish were around. At each of the sites, I came across 1 COT. We are also came across a couple species of Blennies that I don't think I've encountered before.

Night Dive: we were going to try Eagle Rock but that was thwarted by the conditions. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the site we ended up at. I believe it was the next cove over from Martini. Lots of lobster, which was a good sign that they weren't being overfished. The highlight for me was the decorator crabs, a tiny pencil thin Jeweled Moray and some type of giant snail which I still need to identify.

10/21
Eagle rock: alot of surge that got worse toward the end of the dive. Vis was in the 30ft range. This site gas alot of promise, but I didn't see anything noteworthy.

Martini Cove: Shallow, warm, great vis. Lots of healthy coral, but the highlight was definitely the eels. There were at least a dozen full grown Green Morays about and more than a few of them were free swimming. One in particular caught my attention as it seemed to either have a defect of may have suffered a serious injury at some point. It's lower jaw was about 30 degrees off line from its upper jaw. Considering the size of this thing (5-6 ft), this obviously hasn't affected it's eating.

Friday night at the Peso offered a glorious sunset, I only wish I had a better camera with me. Los Arbolitos was as good as ever, and Lalo's is quickly become a favorite stop.

Ill get some pics posted in the next day or so as soon as I have a chance to sort through them. There are a few critters I need help IDing.

---------- Post Merged at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 AM ----------

On a side note. We've been staying at the Playa Blanca condos and I have to say the accommodations are excellent. They're slightly more expensive than some of the other options, but the price difference is well worth it. The beach and pool area, which has 4 hot tubs, are great for divers and nondivers alike, and the Soggy Peso is a 10 minute walk up the beach.

Reactions: Jax
some pics from this past wkend.

DSCN2228.jpg
Green Moray

DSCN2486.jpg
Cortez Angel Fish

DSCN2314.jpg
A Blenny? Any help on an exact ID would be appreciated

DSCN2338.jpg
Reef Hawfish?

DSCN2358.jpg

DSCN2365.jpg
Flabellina Marcusorum, I believe.

DSCN2393.jpg
Hypselodoris Ghiselini

DSCN2414.jpg
I have no idea

DSCN2422.jpg
A little help here. I'm guessing a Goby

DSCN2443.jpg
No idea

DSCN2445.jpg
No idea. It was the size of a Honeydew melon

DSCN2457.jpg
Decorator Crab

DSCN2458.jpg
No idea

DSCN2473.jpg
Damselfish of some sort

The water temperature has dropped significantly. We went out yesterday and on our first dive it was 64 degrees at 75 feet. I stayed higher on the second, averaged 20 feet and it still was only 73 degrees. I have now set a new low temp record for my 1 mm suit. Time to put that away until spring.

The water was green, but I still got some good pictures and I'll post some later.

Still, a bad day diving is better than the best day at work! And, it wasn't all that bad. :wink:

It's amazing how fast it cools off

Anyone have any updates? How about the July 4th long weekend?

I just got down here today. The air temperature in the afternoon was about 95 degrees and the humidity is very high--typical July weather. I've heard the water is about 79 degrees, but I saw a lot of whitecaps out there this afternoon.

Had two nice local dives today at Eagle Rock and Punto Doble. The water temperature was 83 to 84 degrees and visibility was about 50 feet. It was windy, so it made for a rough ride back and there was a strong current out there. My first dive was to 71 feet and that's where I got the 83 degree reading. Everywhere else it was 84 degrees. Nice!

attachment.php

Critter ID from Koozemani October 22, 2012 post...

It's a Maglea ringens, also known as a Grinning Tun Shell. Back in the late 1950's and early 1960's it was believed that the normal limit of this species was Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico. A specimen was found in the San Carlos area following a hurricane back in 1957.

The Grinning Tun is thought to be the biggest shell on the west coast of Mexico.

Personally, I purchased a large (200 cm) one from a San Carlos local and have seen large, live specimens in the waters off Isla San Jorge just south of Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico. I guess the species occurs farther north than they thought back in the 1950's and 1960's.

-AZTinman

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom