dive operators playa del carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Will be in PDC next week any advice on different operators appreciated. At the present time have only seen reviews on Sealife divers. Has anyone dove with other operators. Thanks Vickie

scubanurse:
Will be in PDC next week any advice on different operators appreciated. At the present time have only seen reviews on Sealife divers. Has anyone dove with other operators. Thanks Vickie

I would recommend http://www.yucatek-divers.com/MainEng.htm
1. we dove with them for 2 seasons and very liked them.
2. They do cenotes - Natasha this is the one you want for these dives.
3. Run fast boats ( 6 people on board. or 3 + dive master ). they have hotel and pool . So whole package if you want to.
4. They speak at least 4 languages.
5. I would recommend Polo as DM - it's just me. My wife probably has different opinion.

BUT:
1. we have never stayed in their hotel - so i just dont know how good/bad it is . Seems ok from internal yard. Pool is clean and they also have nice little cafe with snacks if you are in need :).

BAD:
1. Plus they are almost in the center of Playa which is NOT good for diving :wink:

NOTE:
we have never had any problems with them - everything worked as perfect swiss watch;
make sure that you have a clear picture of what are you paying for and they understand and agreed to this too.

Aside of this we have our favorite DM, but he is not working in Playa right now.

I would not recommend Yucatek. My wife and I dove with them in August and it was not a great experience. First off, their rental equipment is very poorly maintained and not checked between dives. (Rule of thumb, bring your own equipment when possible)My wife mistakenly left her flashlight in one of their rental BC, although we called them that night and into the next two days, it somehow disappeared.

Also, we made it clear that we wanted to get pictures of us in the Cenotes, they talked us out of renting a camera, saying that the ones they had would be no good to use in a cenote. They said that their would be someone there to take pictures. They never followed up on this and since there was no one there to take pictures when we arrived, we didn't get our pictures.

Their staff is friendly enough, but very disorganized. I recommend shopping around a bit while you are there before booking.

I know you said that you wanted opinions on other dive outfits in Playa del Carmen but you cant go wrong with Sealife divers.We dove with them just last week doing a 2 tank cenote dive and they were just excellent.Ask for Dani,she was DM for us and have never met a nicer,more friendly and patient DM than her.The whole group of them at Sealife were just great.

simcoediver:
I know you said that you wanted opinions on other dive outfits in Playa del Carmen but you cant go wrong with Sealife divers.
I dove with SeaLife almost two years ago, and I won't do it again. The DM did his best to ignore my low-on-gas pleas (not for myself but for my then girl friend). It's not fun to ascend from 30 metres with only 25 bar in your single tank (some 500 PSI). This also happened to be her first dive for many months, and her first deep dive since AOW. This was specifically mentioned and we were promised a first day of shallow diving, but nope ...

(I went out and bought a reel after this, and basically dived my own plan, not the DM:s.)

Nor is it fun to arrive at the surface to find that her expensive Ray-Bans had been lifted from her bag. We were the last to leave the boat and the first to surface, so the only possible culprit must have been the captain. He was alone onboard.

Nor is it particularly helpful when the owner merely mutters about this being "typically Mexican". Incidentally, this is the only time I've ever seen someone lose anything in Mexico, most people are as honest and friendly as anywhere else.

Now, things may have turned around since then, or we might just have been very unlucky. But I will never dive with SeaLife again. Playa is very nice, though.

There are several outfits in town. I'd go for Abyss or DiveWithMike, but there are many others.

and they were pertty good. I just wasn't impressed with the diving in Playa del Carmen. You would be much better off diving in Cozumel with a Cozumel operator.

D33PS1X I have to disagree with you about Barrakuda. I had a really bad experience with them. The dive master didn't buddy anyone up. The rental equipment was in horrible shape. Due to the fact we weren't buddied up a guy who hadn't had a dive in 15 years ran out of air and shot to the surface.
He ended up in the chamber. This was my first ocean dive and I just kind of went along out of stupidity. My wife and I stay at the Royal Hideaway and this is their dive operator. I had scheduled several more dives with them and cancelled them all. I did the rest of my diving by catching the ferry over to Cozumel and diving with Blue Angel. They were great. Like I said, this was my first ocean dive and maybe it was just a fluke. Stefano (manager of Barrakuda) said the dive master had just been bragging the night before that he had never had anyone get hurt. My wife and I will be returning to the Royal Hideaway again this year but I won't be using Barrakuda.

We dove with Sealife at the beginning of December and had a fantastic experience. Not only were their rates reasonable (we did the 'Dive Cousteau' package) but the staff was knowledgeable and professional. We too dove with Dani - she was great. You can tell that she loves what she does and makes sure that everyone has an enjoyable and safe dive.

I just came back from playa and went with Dive Mike http://www.divemike.com for some cenote dives. Very friendly, experienced team. I had all my own equipment, but the rentals were more than ok.

Diving in Playa is a little bit tricky because it's windy and the port closes often... Buuuuut xcaret 55 is worth it (you can see at least 20 sea turtles in one dive)!!! FOr great reef dives, go to cozumel... but since you're in playa, try the cenotes, they rock!!

Back
Top Bottom