Sunshine Dive and Charter changes its name to Dive Cabo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnZdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Sunshine Dive and Charter has pulled a fast one on PADI by moving a few doors away and changing its name to Dive Cabo S-23564
but its the same owners,Boats,COMPRESSOR,employees,gear.I dont understand how this could happen if PADI is supposed to check Who gets into PADI with inspections of the operation, compressor and all that is part of a Dive Business.:no:
So how does a expelled shop get back in PADI so easy?????

Wyndham Resort, Local A14
Boulevard Marina, Lote 9 y 10, Col. Centro
Cabo San Lucas, BCS 23450
info@scubadivecabosanlucas.com
http://www.scubadivecabosanlucas.com
Ph: (52) 1624 1566260

Last edited:
Not sure why they would change their name, its almost as if they might have something to hide?
hmmmmmm

Sunshine Dive and Charter has pulled a fast one on PADI by moving a few doors away and changing its name to Dive Cabo S-23564
but its the same owners,Boats,COMPRESSOR,employees,gear.I dont understand how this could happen if PADI is supposed to check Who gets into PADI with inspections of the operation, compressor and all that is part of a Dive Business.:no:
So how does a expelled shop get back in PADI so easy?????

Wyndham Resort, Local A14
Boulevard Marina, Lote 9 y 10, Col. Centro
Cabo San Lucas, BCS 23450
info@scubadivecabosanlucas.com
http://www.scubadivecabosanlucas.com
Ph: (52) 1624 1566260

Well to get back in - Put Another Dollar In

Yes it's sad to find out that an organization that you thought was protecting Divers is %100 in for the money and only the Money.When people have died you would think that would open some eyes but the sad truth is than any one with $500.00 can be a PADI shop with no inspections just send in some photos and they put you on the web site and send your PADI stickers for your windows you dont have to prove anything like you know how to lead Dive Tours safly for the public.

I would love to hear the other side to this story. Hopefully Caboticket or some others whom have been affiliated with Sunshine can give their two cents. Personally I thought they were a top notch dive op when we dove with them in July. Reviews from various websites including Undercurrent, which I believe offers more credibility, give highly favorable reviews to Sunshine. I am not a big believer in PADI representing the gold standard of dive ops. One of my worst experiences was with a designated PADI '5 Star Palm' facility. I have no specific allegiance and by no means represent Sunshine Dive Charters. I just cannot help but become suspicious of negative postings after reading the link below from Undercurrent:

Sunshine Dive and Charter, Cabo San Lucas. In the preamble to our July story, "CO Poisoning Risk Higher than You Think," we wrote about the March death of a diver, and erroneously reported that she had been diving with Sunshine and may have been overcome by carbon monoxide in her tank that her husband claimed Sunshine had filled. As it turned out, our sources got it wrong. Traun Lynch, who represents Sunshine Dive and Charter, tells us the divemaster who took Cross diving was not working for Sunshine Dive and Charter, nor did Sunshine fill his tanks. We apologize for the error; we cannot definitively tie down the source of the air, and the police are mum. Sunshine has generally received good marks from Undercurrent, and two of our California subscribers, Tom Webb and Mike Eberle, each wrote us to call attention to our error, and report that each had just been diving with Sunshine and had nothing but good experiences. So if you're headed to Cabo, put Sunshine on your list. ( www.divecabo.com )

I am not sure I see the problem.

1. The dive shop does not say anywhere that they are a PADI dive center. They say they offer PADI instruction, but that is different from being a PADI dive center. I can advertise and offer PADI instruction independently if I choose to, but that does not make me a PADI dive center. The old agency was a PADI dive center before it was expelled. This one does not claim to be, as far as I can see.

2. PADI does not inspect compressors, etc., especially if it is not endorsing the business operation. The OP should be well aware of that by now.

Well doe's anybody know why they changed there name? I mean if they have this great professional service and are so popular and making tons of money and so many people love them and all. Well anyway Sunshine Dive and Charter doe's not exist anymore it's Dive Cabo now a new and experenced 5 star PADI dive center or resort or maby not depending on what website your lookin at.
They have a new PADI Number on the PADI website #S23564 click on shop locater for Cabo San Lucas Mexico.
I would love to see PADIs Information on the new owners.

I have been sitting back and watching for a little more trying to determine what is going on before stepping in some more. I really don't want to get into the middle of what appears to be a war between two competing dive shops. I will just try to add some information and ask a question.

First of all, the references to Sunshine being expelled from PADI are not correct. In PADI's list of Consumer Alert and Expelled Members, Sunshine appears only on the Consumer Alerts list and not in the Expelled list.

Next, I have heard from outside of this thread that Sunshine was sold, and the new name of the shop came about because it has new ownership. In this thread, the OP says it is the same ownership. I would appreciate it if the OP would confirm his assertion that it is the same ownership.

The new web site says nothing about them being a PADI 5 Star resort.

Last edited:
this is interesting, here is the whois lookup on the owner of the website, registered in 1997.

Administrative Contact :
Helten, Lars
hm3ar7fq5hm@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
ATTN DIVECABO.COM
care of Network Solutions
PO Box 459
Drums, PA 18222
US
Phone: 570-708-8780
Technical Contact :
Helten, Lars
hm3ar7fq5hm@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
ATTN DIVECABO.COM
care of Network Solutions
PO Box 459
Drums, PA 18222
US
Phone: 570-708-8780
Record expires on 14-Feb-2015
Record created on 13-Feb-1997
Database last updated on 16-Jul-2010

I would Say that its probably just a simple name change, and it says right on their home page "[h=1]Welcome to "Dive Cabo"[/h][h=1]PADI Dive Resort #23564 & Nitrox Facility[/h]
However cant seen to locate them anymore on the PADI web page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom