Skip diving in Cancun or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've stayed and dived all around Cancun, from Cozumel, to Playa to Isla Mujeres, Akumal, Talum...but have never actually stayed in Cancun and dived in Cancun. Cancun and Isla Mujeres share some dive sites so I've even dived some of those from the multiple times I've stayed in Isla Mujeres, have dived the cenotes also and don't care for them.

So question is, I've dived some of the shared sites between Cancun and Isla Mujeres, and found them nothing special. Don't want to be jaded, (but I guess I am), but don't really want to spend more time and money on fruitless dives in Cancun if I'm just going to find more of the same.

Is there anything worth diving from Cancun, anyone worth diving with in Cancun? If so what and who and why? Of should I just skip it and spend my time at the pool? Will be staying at Fiesta Americana Grand Coral over the 4th of July week.

Thanks in advance.

There is some great diving in Cancun. Reefs like Herradura, Punta Negra, grampin, etc. And the wreck C58 are all fantastic! If you're heading there, shoot Miguel Cachoa (divepro on sb) an email. His website is www.scubadiveincancun.com
I dive with him when i go to Cancun and whenever we have divers heading to Cancun, i send them to him

Hey Mike,

i dont know your expectations but the outer reefs who are between 40-50ft of depth have great variety of marine life and are more fun than just sitting at the pool.

Check us out

Coconut Divers Cancun - Scuba Diving in Cancun

Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

Hey Mike,

i dont know your expectations but the outer reefs who are between 40-50ft of depth have great variety of marine life and are more fun than just sitting at the pool.

Check us out

Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

Any videos to show these great dives?

Do you guys let your guests dive their tanks or are your dives all timed?

Hey Mike,
we got a bunch of fotos on our web site and some videos on youtube made by Alex Polanco my partner. There are also some videos done by our customers on our facebook and tripadviser site.
Our morning dives with cert. divers leaves at 9am and is back by 1pm so yes we limit the dives to a comfortable 50min max. These dives go to the outer reef or the ship wrecks.

Like i said Mike it all depends on what you are looking for. For me a bad dive is still better than a good day at the office but thats just me.

Saludos

Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

The reef structures off Cancun are not as spectacular as those of Cozumel, but they're still lovely. And with the same variety of sea life as Coz. The dives tend to be shallow (the only sites deeper than 60 feet I can think of off hand are the C55 & C58 - both excellent dives) and with little or no current to speak of.
Give Alvaro at AlwaysDiving a call. He's got a YouTube channel if you'd like to check out examples. Never takes more than 6 divers, and you dive your tank.

Mike, I have watched you talk bad and complain about Isla Mujeres diving on here for years. If you do not like the Isla diving you won't like Cancun diving, it is the same. I am sure you will not be happy with the diving. Please do not go diving here, then we will not have to listen to you bitch about it. Some of us like Isla Mujeres and Cancun diving.
Thanks in advance

Oh please... :shakehead:

We both know why you chimed in.

We both know I've commented quite favorably in regard to the potential that exists on dives around Mujeres I've more than once posted about it being open ocean around it and the chances of seeing just about anything exists on a dive there, such as the last time I was diving there and ran into a school of mantas, so let's stop the games right now with your accusations.

We both know the real reason you chose to personally attack me ---you're upset because I have commented about the dangerous dive operator that you consider your buddy and shill for here and on tripadvisor, I won't mention him by name, but we both know who we are talking about, the dude who has no shop, works out of his car, and ignores basic scuba diving safety and has been called out on it more than once by other divers, not just me.

Anyways, thanks for the hijack. Now back to the topic...

Last edited:
Hello Mike,
It is great that you asked this, great for people to know a little more about it since I have seen you post and even recommend so much about the area so it would be great for you to visit and provide an opinion

Cancun is underrated, the fact is that Cozumel is World Class for a certain type of dive and since that type of dive is not in Cancun divers tend to say Cancun is not as a great as Cozumel, this information has changed from "Cancun is not as great as Cozumel" to " Cancun is not good "

In 20 years diving in the area and meeting many divers I can as well mention that at times divers get used to diving at their local dive club or want exactly the same thing as when they dove in x dive center and some times wanting to have exactly what they had in terms of structure, prices, visibility, weather etc.
Another fact is everyone has expectations,and then an opinion, unfortunately different factors like weather can create a world of difference on the same exact dive with or without current combined with Thermocline that brings bad visibility (here bad visibility is 35ft)
Other factors can be so many that when are combined and as well depending on the diver, the result a dive or in fact how the dive was perceived even the same dive for divers on the same group.

Cozumel´s "Theme" dive is "Wall Diving". The amazing gigantic coral formations combined with depth and magnificent visibility 200ft. Wall dives are done at the "edge" of the wall where this coral develops. There are different wall dives, some with a nice drift that some times changes to higher currents, this has generated opinions about this dives to be "dangerous"

Cancun does not provide "wall dives" but it is part of the same coral reef system the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System.
Cancun provides "theme dives" as is the Wreck dive deep dive 75ft.
Coral reef are located as barriers of coral reefs, this are part of the same barrier with interconnections between La Cherna to Herradura and from there Punta Negra, Grampin, Tunel. Or outer barriers such as Aristos / Iglesia system. San Toribio / No name / Cuevas de afuera.
All these are fantastic coral reefs, and after many dives I can say sometimes it is just fantastic, and see all kinds of everything and the next day it was not there and/or weather changed. (waves, winds, currents)
Cancun provides a great place to begin diving. Coral Reefs between 27 to 33ft. Chitales where we see turtles, Manchones long coral reef formations. Manchones Chico. Bandera is a fantastic reef with lots of all kinds of life down there at times a harder to perform dive due to currents.

Under water museum, many divers like it and come back to see the development or changes, other divers do not like it, it is again a matter of taste or opinion.
I have seen written opinions of great dives in Cancun and Cozumel and as well have seen the same for Cozumel many great dives comments as well as notsuchagoodtime comments as you will probably have here on this thread.
To me "anywhere" is a great place to dive, and I am aware that "anywhere in the world" diving may be affected by weather.

Here is a compilation of videos of Cancun dives:

Miguel Cachoa - YouTube

I hope this info helps

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom