planning 2 and a 1/2 weeks in Mexico... could use some advice :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midas801

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello y'all,

Have a two and a half week dive trip vacation in the yucatan with my lady friend coming up and could use a little input/advice on a few things. I have dove cozumel several times but this will be our first trip on our own. Our initial tentative plan was to spend the first chunk of our trip in Cozumel at a resort, and then backpack/hump the coastline and see/dive the places we haven't seen before..

We'll be flying into Cancun on April 30th. My lady friend has a free night at Villa del Palmar, which I noticed is right by the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Our most recent plan is we're thinking of maybe flying into Cancun... spending the first night at Villa del Palmar, take the ferry to Isla, and then spend 1 or 2 days diving there. Any recommendations for operators, places to stay? I assume its probably out of season for whale sharks...but are there any runs out to holbox from Isla?

After that I think we'll try and be down to Cozumel around May 3rd for a string of easy resort days/great diving. I personally like allegro but am open for any suggestions?

Eventually we'd like to make it back to the main land and head south towards Tulum... might do a day or two in Playa del Carmen & Akumal. Any suggestions on operators? places to stay/see?

I haven't really noticed a large backpacker presence here on scubaboard but does anyone have any experience with any hostels in the area? I know Tulum is a big backpacking hub.

--Thanks in advance... curious and interested on any input anyone has :)--

I'm not sure of your exact travel dates, but you did mention being in Cozumel on May 3rd. The whale shark season officially opens May 15th, so you might be able to try it on the return part of your trip.

I have not used this company, but they get many great reviews on Tripadvisor: Swim with Whale Sharks in Cancun

Good luck. Sounds like the makings of great trip.

PH

Try the Secret Garden in Tulum. We stayed there a couple years ago for a night as we got to town a day early. It was fairly inexpensive if I remember right , kinda hostel like , but clean. It is in town but has a nice little garden area that would be just great for kicking back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom